• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

The new clone source menu in CS5

Started by glennab, July 23, 2011, 11:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennab

This is under the Windows menu in Photoshop.  It's a relatively new discovery of mine, and it's invaluable.

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Tori803

Thanks Glenna! It seems a person can never learn enough about Photoshop (especially since it keeps improving).

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Mhayes

Thanks GK! I wasn't aware of it either.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Bambi

glennab

Tori, Margie and Barbie - I couldn't believe it when I saw this menu in a tutorial.  All I could think of was all the aggravation and time we could save with it.  It takes some getting use to.  I can't say I'm totally comfortable with it yet, but it's definitely a gift for us! It's always my pleasure to find and share something like this with my OPR pals in the trenches.  We can use all the help we can get!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Oldfaded

GK I remember when you offered me that new trick!! I was amazed, didn't know about that and I'm now using it all the time, totally comfortable with it, it was exactly what I have been needing!
What I was doing which is ridiculous was to copy the picture and free rotate it to where I wanted it, definite pain. This is much simpler and cleaner.
Just have to add the minus depending on which way you want to rotate it left or right.
Ive not gotten too far into it due to lack of need, but I am guessing that with the five sources you can have all five on different source areas and go back and forth between them so you don't have to change one for the other..
Neat VERY helpful info!!
KATE
Old Faded Memories
-------------
Adobe CS5
Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2

Hannie

After reading all these enthusiastic reports I will absolutely have to try out the clone tool settings myself. 
(I get so set in my ways, I use methods similar to Oldfaded, it works but if there are more elegant methods I have to get off of my proverbial behind and start learning them)

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Oldfaded

Hannie grab any photo, something with obvious straight line type visuals.
then start in on the clone source ...
alt click your clone source
then where the 0.0 and the arrow is put in -45 
and watch the clone area change 45 degrees to the left I think..haha
and if you dont add the minus it will go 45 degrees the other way... or 90 or just that simple 2 degrees I have used so often. :)
KATE
Old Faded Memories
-------------
Adobe CS5

glennab

I just found this great tutorial on You Tube by A.J. Wood.  Expands a bit on how awesome the clone tool menu is.  As he says, "the clone tool doesn't suck!" I couldn't agree more.

Note especially that if you want to rotate the cloned area you can use the "scrubby" trick to move it, rather than using numbers and guessing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc8XJR8vWmc&feature=youtu.be

GK

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Oldfaded

Yay! that was fantastic GK! I was right we can have up to 5 separate clone sources on that, I have in the past needed a few but had to keep changing manually, so that is good to know, not to mention all the rest. great video!!!
Thank you so much!!
KATE
Old Faded Memories
-------------
Adobe CS5

Hannie

Thanks Kate for explaining and thanks Glenna for posting the link to the tutorial.
Now I have no more excuses for not learning the clone settings.  (does a blue screen of death count as an excuse?  Have plenty of those)

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Oldfaded

Id say the BSOD is a good excuse, but its a fixable one.....lol
KATE
Old Faded Memories
-------------
Adobe CS5

glennab

Hannie, how often do you get the BSOD?  And what causes it? (Dare I ask if it's a PC?)

One great thing (and there are others) about being retired is that I've allowed myself the luxury of learning as much as I can about Photoshop CS5, restoring and retouching.  There are so many webinars and tutorials available.  As for books, I'm reading Ctein's second book, which isn't really a revision so much as a continuation of the information he used in his first one.  He has many of the images and samples from the first book on his web site.  He is incredible.  He comes from a long  background of working with film, and he's very astute about scanning issues, as well as restoration.  And Katrin Eismann is in a class by herself.  I have other restoration books, and they're good, but if you have Katrin's and Ctein's second editions, you're set.

Janine Smith has a tutorial on Lynda.com for relatively new restorers, and it's quite good.  But those of us who've been at this for a few years are beyond that level.  However, anyone just starting out would do well to get a month's subscription just to take the tutorial - and scarf up as many more as you can while you're in that month.

Any other tidbits I catch, I'll be sure to share them with you.

Hugs!

GK

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)