• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Recent Upload

Started by Margery44, July 05, 2011, 11:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Margery44

Senior Jonas -
My name is Margery Sponsler. I am new here and I just uploaded my first image for review. I have to tell you that I did my best with the hands on two of the bridesmaids.
The only thing I could think of to try is to draw the hands in Illustrator and carry them over. Unfortunately, me and Illustrator are not that well acquainted. If you have any suggestions I would be most appreciative.
Continued Success
Margery Sponsler

Hannie

Hi Margery, congratulations on your first OPR restore!

It would be great if you could post here an image of what your restore looks like plus the original photo?
http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/topic,2002.0.html

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Jonas.Wendorf

Hi Margery,

welcome to OPR, you did a great job so far!

I see, the hands are really pretty difficult due to the overall texture of the image.
Though since the pattern is continuous, there's a good way around it, the FFT.
If you need a tutorial for it, you can see one by byRo here: http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=185

However there are also some other problems with your image, e.g. you left some dust spots on it and on the right man's jacket are red blotches that need to be removed.

For the hands you could probably just use the healing brush in Lighten/Darken mode to correct them :-)

Jonas
Best regards,
Jonas

Margery44

Jonas -
I am most appreciative for the feedback. I will make the corrections and re-post the image.
Thank you very much.
Margery

Margery44

Senior Jonas -
I have uploaded the image with the corrections you have asked for. I would appreciate your feedback and apologize for the delay in re-posting.
Continued Success -
Margery Sponsler

Jonas.Wendorf

Hi Margery,

always take your time, there's nothing worse than a rushed through restore :-).

That said you did a beautiful job on fixing the remaining issues in this image!
There's only one little flaw left. On the middle man's jacket there's still some of the red splotches I told you about earlier.
Maybe it's not that obvious on your monitor as it is on mine, if so I'd suggest temporarily lightening the whole image to see the dark areas better :-)
Best regards,
Jonas

Hannie

Jonas, I like your tip to temporarily lighten a finished restore to see if there are any blotches or stains left!
I used it yesterday and it really helped.

Thanks,

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Margery44

Senior Jonas -
I am glad the hands meet with your approval. Are you talking about the redness at the collar line and the top part of the jacket near the shoulder? I did not mess with that area because the jacket appears to be dark red - possibly maroon and I thought I would be altering the original incorrectly.

I think my problem is that I can tell when there is a scratch or obvious debris, but this dust you are talking about is more elusive.
I did as you asked and lightened the whole image to see the jacket. I see what you are talking about and make the corrections as you requested.
Also I was under the impression we had two weeks to get the image completed and I started this image on the 3rd. Did I misunderstand the deadline?

Jonas.Wendorf

Hi Margery,

yes, I was referring to the redness at the collar line :-).
Since the jacket doesn't seem to have a wild pattern on it, no matter what it's original color is, we can say pretty safely that this area is damage :-).

Yes, two weeks is the usual deadline, but if you're still working on an image and just need more time, that's okay as well (I'll also send out mails to ask for restores if someone is taking too long).
For me it's always better to have a great restore that takes time than a rushed through one with poor quality.
Best regards,
Jonas

Margery44

Jonas -
I have uploaded my image again with the corrections you requested.
Keep me posted, thanks.
Margery

Jonas.Wendorf

Hi Margery,

received and approved :-)!

Great job!

Thanks,
Jonas
Best regards,
Jonas

Margery44

Jonas -
Woo Hoo! Received and Approved - music to the ears of this newbie!
Hopefully this is the first of many restorations.
Have a good day!
Margery