• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

First Fix - critique please

Started by Oldfaded, May 21, 2011, 10:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldfaded

Not sure at all if I did this correct or not. The photo I had to work with really didnt have much detail at all, pretty much had to wing it, not sure if that is what is expected or not.
Let me know what you think.

BEFORE - http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii44/learninlady/OPR/RegisterP11_4_4x6.jpg

AFTER - http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii44/learninlady/OPR/RegisterP11_4_4x6_finis_Kate.jpg

KATE
Old Faded Memories
-------------
Adobe CS5
Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2

Mhayes

Kate,

Congratulations on your first restore! You are right about this not having much detail and about all you can do is color correct and even that is hard. What you are trying to do is to retouch to make the photo look more pleasing, but the problem is that the changes you have made are not supported in the original. Yours looks like a fall scene with the leaves changing color and the sky is bright as if it is midday. The tree(s) on your right is really faded and no detail and except for maybe darkening, you don't have many options. I think what you have done is a nicer looking photo that the original, but it no longer resembles the original.

I did a quick and dirty to show the differences between the original, yours, and mine. Mine could have more shading, the green on the left blended better, and other damage repair, but I didn't add anything that wasn't there.

I noticed that you are using PhotoBucket, but I think you are pasting in the direct link instead of the last choice which is the IMG Code. By using it, your image will be visible on the post.

Don't get discouraged as you are doing great. It's just a matter of getting used to what we expect.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Pat

Hi Kate,

One way to get a feel for what is expected in an OPR restore is to look at old posts in the OPR WORKSHOPS under the EASY, MODERATE and DIFFICULT categories.  You'll see critiques of photos that other volunteers have posted for help.

You did mention that you have difficulty reading for any length of time so  another great way to see what is expected of  OPR restorations is to click on GALLERY at the top of the forum home page and take a look at the finished photos posted in Before and After.

As Margie says don't get discouraged –you'll do great!
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Oldfaded

Thank !! much appreciated. Discouraged? Not at all.
I actually agree with what was stated, and knew Id gotten carried away.
Here using cs5 I was seeing more fall colors coming out of the picture.
What I had set there was all green but what I had done was to use a photo I myself had taken up here at Jobs Pond that had a similar effect. :(  cheat cheat....not so good.
I am using photobucket Margie, I didn't think that the img would work due to the size so I purposely used the link.
I shall use the img instead! :)) tnx!
and yes, reading on a computer for some reason I just cant seem to do. I read books daily, some times too much...lol I have had all the advice from ophthalmologists etc.. and nothing I try seems to work, my eyes get tired after the first sentence, if I had to read what I type Id go blind...lol
Thank goodness I took typing...hehe
So back to restoration - Im not sure how you got the photograph to read more green but I shall work on it some more.. try to fix whats there instead of creating what I want to...
thank you very much! I needed some direction!
KATE
Old Faded Memories
-------------
Adobe CS5

Mhayes

Kat,

What I do for any photo that upload to Photobucket is to make a copy of my original and reduce the resolution. In this case the resolution was 96 dip. Make sure you don't reduce your working copy and then upload back to us.

Yes, you cheated!  :knuppel:

Basically I did a quick auto in Curves--I'm also working with CS5. From there I worked several layer masks and also used the Multiply Mode in some areas. I think what I did on the right hand side needs more work, but really all that you have to work with is shading and color.

That is a bummer about your eyes, hope you get some relief.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Oldfaded

I do still like the looks of the cheater pic...hehe
but it does go against all that I believe in ... I do not like to change anything in a restoration as to me restoration and history walk hand in hand...
like the cheat I did, that is Jobs pond, not the area that was taken from, so that makes it all wrong.
Im guessing Im not going to be able to fix this one, I will keep trying, but I dont hold out much hope for my skills, I dont see what is there ... for instance, is it day/night/dusk/dawn I like to have a bit more detail about the photo to help me visualize what I need to look for...

eyes nope. but its just reading. even enlarging doesnt do me well. but I can stare at photos all day....lol so I dont complain much... only explain why I dont follow directions... :)
KATE
Old Faded Memories
-------------
Adobe CS5

Oldfaded

I cant fix it. :(  This is beyond my talents. :) It wont get any better than that sorry I tried! :0
I could tweak here and there, do a better job on the trees etc, but I am having a difficult time on what is expected when I see literally nothing in this  photo.

KATE
Old Faded Memories
-------------
Adobe CS5

david_gr

Kate,

You were braver than me to even take this on.  Don't get discouraged try another photo that is not so "challenging".  I saw a bunch of new photos on Photoshelter, yesterday.  Good luck!  :)

David Gr

Oldfaded

:up2: Thanks David! Not much discourages me. I only feel bad that Im not talented enough to fix it. :(
One day one day more practice...  ;)
I feel if I don't at least try, Id not know. One of the things here that I don't appreciate is that I have to ask for a pic to see if I am capable or not. I wish I could just grab one and try in private. :( 
KATE
Old Faded Memories
-------------
Adobe CS5

Pat

Hi Kate,

Boy you sure picked a tough one for your first fix.  There just is not a lot to work with.  It has nothing to do with lack of talent.  I don't think there are any of those pretty clouds in the original.  I took a quick try at this one and this is what I got:

Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Oldfaded

Looks great Pat! I can see more in your work than in what i came up with her. I did everything to bring out some tangible detail to hold onto.
Seems from what I'm seeing on my end there are quite a few hard ones.
See and with this one I'm not sure of what is expected. Now I can go thu and add trees, and make it look much more realistic than just plopping them there as I did, but I hate to put too much time into it to find that's not what is wanted. I guess again, I need to know more of what is expected from this one. Most I can figure out what needs to be done and what is expected, this one due to zero to few pieces of information left, I'm not sure what one would expect, as the only thing I can do is to recreate what was once there.
And no, there were no clouds..lol Did you see my first attempt? I get WAY to artistic...lol

[Thanks everyone for the wonderful encouragement. :) Much appreciated.]
KATE
Old Faded Memories
-------------
Adobe CS5

Pat

Kate, Like you I'm using CS5.  I did a color correction using JB's action:  https://public.me.com/jtjbenterprises  Then I did a little clean up with the clone tool.  Next I just enhanced the color that was brought out in the color correction with the brush tool.  There is really nothing more you can do with this one.  You can't "recreate what was once there" because there is not enough detail.
Pat

Oldfaded

I see that. That is what I mean by if someone were to tell me more of the photo I could recreate it... for instance if it were a photo of the Parthenon Id know what it used to look like and could go from there and re-do.
As I have said, I do hate hate hate to add or take away anything in restoration, Id rather leave the photograph looking not so good than to recreate it. but with Some, I just am compelled to 'paint' in what is not there.
If this had been given to me, I would have sent pretty much what you posted up back along with a few versions as I have posted here, so that the customer can see what can be done and what is the only restoration that can come from the photograph.
I'll go grab that action! tnx Pat!! :)
KATE
Old Faded Memories
-------------
Adobe CS5

Mhayes

Kat,

I appreciate your wanting to get the photo to look better, but being compelled to "paint in what is not there," is not the answer and will get your restore rejected by your distributor and Quality Control. It is OK to do that if you are "retouching" and that is what the client wants, but it isn't OK here. We do use reference photos for faces and also if another photo of the same scene is available that will help with missing information. Even if you knew the location you are wanting to recreate from another photo that wouldn't make it match exactly to the one you are working on. The lighting and the angle the photo was taken from would not match. Family's want the best restore of the memories in that particular photo.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Oldfaded

Yes and I do understand. I also understand that it surely wont come from me as I dont see anything there to bring back to life. :(
I am sorry... I did my best.  :hug:
KATE
Old Faded Memories
-------------
Adobe CS5