• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Calibrating a Monitor

Started by david_gr, February 14, 2011, 10:54:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

david_gr

How important is it to calibrate a monitor?  Looking on Amazon.com, I figure it would cost me about $80 or more.  I am trying to figure out whether I want to get one.  Here is what I found on Amazon.com:

Pantone huey Pro MEU113  $89
Datacolor DC S3P100 Spyder 3 Pro  $110
SPYDER3EXPRESS  $77
X-Rite Eye-One Display LT $150
Pantone huey MEU101 $89

I have an HP w2007 LCD monitor.  I am looking for a calibrator that is easy to use, works well, and is economical.  Anybody have any recommendations?  Or do I even need one with today's monitors?

What do you all think?

David Gr :-\

Tori803

Following Hannie's suggestion a while back I purchased a Huey calibrator http://www.amazon.com/Pantone-MEU101-huey/dp/B000CR78C4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1297695689&sr=8-2 which is very easy to use. I calibrate my monitor about once a week.

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Charlene5

I also bought a Huey calibrator after Hannie gave her firm endorsement.  I bought mine on Ebay - lightly used - for $50.  Haven't had any problems at all after a couple of years.  I just did a quick search of "Pantone" and found several.   If you buy from a reputable seller who guarantees the purchase it's a good option.

MJ

Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells

G3User

I am using a Spyder 3 Pro with a Dell 2407 and check the calibration monthly. It doesn't seem to change much between checks but you have to let the monitor warm up first.
Calibration makes a noticeable difference to the display, not large but I feel more confident when judging skin tones.
It did make me realize that the monitor was too bright and I have toned it substantially. That was a pain to start with but I got used to it after a few weeks and my prints are now nearer what I see on the monitor.

Athol

Hannie

David, there is no difference between the Huey MEU113 and the MEU 101 other than some software options.  The hardware is exactly the same and you can get which ever is the cheapest.

Like Athol I also had too much brightness in my monitor setting before I used the Huey.  It is funny how your eyes adjust to the wrong setting and then after calibration it takes a day or two to get used to the right settings again.

All monitors need calibration,  doesn't matter if they are CRT, LCD or LED. (event the high end professional ones that cost a fortune)

Hope you'll find what you need!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

David, when my last computer, Sony Artisan complete with calibrator, bit the dust after 3 years; I went with the NEC MultiSync P221W LCD. I definitely believe in calibrating your monitor. I chose to buy my current monitor w/o the calibration because of the price difference, but hope to purchase the Spectra View II online soon. What sold me about both was the article that appeared in Shutterbug. Here is the link:
http://www.shutterbug.com/equipmentreviews/software_computers/0210nec/

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

JTJB

David,

As per the above posts the investment is well worth while, especially if you print your images.  I run a complete colour management workflow from monitor to print using Spider Studio Pro.

I always recommend monitor calibration on a regular basis, and each of the products you have mentioned will serve you well.

By calibrating, you can better take advantage of soft proofing within PS and print profiles.

david_gr

Folks,

I ended up getting the Pantone Huey Pro.  I tried it out and it made my screen too dark for my taste.  So I restored my monitor to the defaults.  I figure that when I do restorations I will calibrate my monitor to standard then reset it to my taste when I am done.

When doing the calibration, I never could get the rings to match up.  Instead I used the 75 settings for both brightness and contrast that were suggested.  Anybody else have the same problem?

I guess I am stubborn.  I want my monitor to adjust to me vice me adjust to my monitor.

Thanks to everybody for their advice and encouragement.

David Gr  :)