• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Dave's Workshop

Started by Dave, June 23, 2006, 10:14:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

This is my first photo I have comlpeted :)

Before

After

Dave

This one was more of a challange but I think it looks ok now, if anyone spots anything I could do better please let me know :)

Before

After

pcraft

Nice work Dave..  That top one looks quite difficult...   :)  Nice effort, overall... 

Dave

Thanks for the nice comment :)

Dave

Can anyone see any problems with this image.. there was a few bits of dust and scratches to remove but I cant see much else wrong with it. Maybe its my eyes because its late hehe, but a few extra sets of eyes would help...

Elwood

the ground does look more purple at the bottom but that might be my monitor

Dave

Actually I have to agree, I couldnt see it on the original but I did notice more when I brightened up the image. Im not quite sure how to go about fixing that but I will try

GUESS

i see that too Elwood.
the whole bottom third in general is a bit hazy and in need of some minor color adjustments... but other than that...
____
eric guess
forefront-studios.com

Dave

Well I have tried again but im not sure if I have it, can anyone point me in the right direction? Im using photshop cs :)

pcraft

Hi Dave...  I think I'd select the young boys legs and goto Image/Adjustments/Hue_Saturation then click on the little down arrow to the right of Edit  and select Reds..  I set Hue at 4, Saturation at -10 and Lightness at +8 and it seems to help somewhat...  And I think the ground in front and behind him could be darkened a bit...  Just the lightest areas..  I tried with Levels..

downtownbrown374

You've done some really good work so far. My only comment was with the baby picture, right above the nose on her forehead it looks like a spot on her head. Maybe try blending that spot into the surrounding skin tones so it doesnt look touched up there.

Dave

Quote from: downtownbrown374 on June 24, 2006, 05:09:46 PM
You've done some really good work so far. My only comment was with the baby picture, right above the nose on her forehead it looks like a spot on her head. Maybe try blending that spot into the surrounding skin tones so it doesnt look touched up there.

Yeah I noticed that too.. but it dont look like that on the final version, im not sure if its something to do with the heavy compression and smaller size I have used to show on the forum or not. I will revisit the image and take another look though just incase :)

Dave

and thanks for the nice comment  ;D

drcode

These are really great- The first one, especially, looks really lifelike after the fix!

One recommendation I would make is that your weak spot (keep in mind I haven't gotten any pictures to restore yet, so I really have no credibilty here, just trying to be helpful :) is that if there are large areas of discoloration from water damage (such as the baby's forhead, or the right half of the ground in the fishing image) that you benefit from developing specific processes for dealing with such a situation more effectively, so they don't remain noticeable...

...the only real way to handle such problems (that i'm aware of) is to break the problem area into a completely  separate layer in photoshop/gimp and do entirely separate image processing on that area to better match the rest of the picture (on the finshing ground, i would adjust the hue a bit and up the contrast, on the baby's head I'd darken that area.

After you are done, you then are left with an ugly seam at the edges of the problem area, which you can deal with in several different ways (use a feathered selection when moving to the other layer, using a blury eraser to fix the edges, etc)

overall, they look great though!

Dave

Thanks for the tips, I will have a look at them again tonight and post what I come up with :)