• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

PC or Mac?

Started by Kenny, September 04, 2006, 12:54:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny

I've read in a few posts where some of you are using Macs. I frequent the tech forums found elsewhere and I see the same arguments all the time about which is "better".

I've personally never used a Mac. I'm a diehard PC guy, but then again I work on computers, so it kind of comes with the territory. (maybe that just means PCs break down more often than Macs..heh)

Anyway, I would love to hear from any of you Mac users on why you got started using one and why you prefer it over a PC. I've always heard that Macs are superior for artistic things, but I've never really heard a good reason why.

Anyway, I'll go first:

I use a PC because an IBM clone was the first contemporary computer I learned to use and I've stuck with it. I still have a fondness for Commodores, but that's a different story :P

But why is the rum gone?

glennab

Hi -- I'll certainly put in my two cents.

I'm a Mac user partly because back when computers first came into general use, Macs were always touted as the best platform for graphics and art.  Therefore, I had to use them at work and got very comfortable with them.  The only graphics work I've done on a PC was a little newsletter I put together back in the 80s -- and I'm not sure you could really call that graphics.  The contrast between the two platforms at that time was quite pronounced. I had to use DOS, for crying out loud! Macs are very intuitive - their operating systems have definitely been developed for the right-brained.  Most graphics software was initially developed for Macs as well, so that's why I've always used Macs at work.

I don't know a lot about PCs, so I can't really do a comparison, and I have nothing against PCs.  I think initial exposure and use of one platform or another engenders most people's preference.

That said though, I'd have nothing but a Mac because I'm a right-brainer in a right-brain industry.  Macs and their operating systems are very elegant, in my opinion.  They're easy to use, so designers and artists can concentrate on their work rather than constantly fiddling with computer issues.  While I have worked on a couple of VERY eccentric Macs, I have a G3 300 at home that's 8 years old.  The only trouble I've had with it is when we were hit by lightning and the serial board got fried.  The rest of the computer has been chugging along just fine.  I'm confortable upgrading, troubleshooting, etc., because of the simplicity of the machine.  I think they're beautifully engineered.

The main problem with Macs is their price.  They're outrageously expensive -- hence my still having the G3.  To get the G5 quad 2.5 gh processor that I'd love to get my hands on would cost over $3000. My husband just purchased a powerful HP with monitor and software for less than half that.  I think the Macs are worth the money, but they're beyond a lot of people's budget (mine included).

The other Mac glitch is the internet.  For some reason Macs can't seem to access many things on-line that PCs can.  I would guess that's more a software problem.  But our Mac-based art department has to use PCs to develop and view our own web site, and that's nuts!

I do, however, love my Mac; and I'll always have Macs.  I'll just have to get a second job to be able to afford a new one!

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Pappy725

I was a PC person originally, then a buddy of mine with a PowerMac 8500 tower showed me the audio/video inputs on it and back in '97 we made an eight minute Polka video on it. At one point we had 21 GB of HD attached! We were blown away with the space. It also just seemed more intuitive to me. I'm on my 3rd one. Titanium PowerBook 1Ghz Processor, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB harddrive. It's getting old, but it still performs! Mostly I use it to record multichannel audio at live gigs. Macs Rock!