• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Art Institute question

Started by haleygd, June 25, 2010, 04:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haleygd

Anyone have any knowledge or experience with any of the Art Institute schools? I am thinking about taking their online program for a degree in photography... if my GI Bill benefits will cover it.

Gary
Windows 7 & CS5 Design Premium, restoration in work photos uploaded at GaryHaley.photoshop.com

Hannie

Gary, from the reviews I've seen on the Internet there are just as many positive as negative reactions, hard to tell.

Maybe you should just give it a go!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tori803

Although I haven't any experience with AI, I'm a big fan of distance learning. You have to be a self-starter because there's no one to hold your hand. If you are good at managing your time, getting projects done without reminders, then you would probably get a lot out of the course.

Trying to figure out which courses are worth the money is another issue. Is the Art Institute you're considering accredited with the Distance Learning Council? Is it accredited in it's state as a college or university? That will tell you if it meets certain standards. If you need college level credits for another university or continuing education credits for an employer you'll have to check with each institution to see if they will accept the certificate from AI.

Another option might be if the course offers a payment schedule. Then you could enroll with the lowest amount of financial exposure and then cancel if you find it's not what you're looking for.

Personally, I'm reading through Katie Miller's book on Photography for the 21st Century, as I haven't honed up on photography since I got my first camera (Olympus OM1) in 1976!

Best wishes!
Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

haleygd

Thanks for the thoughts Tori. The school is accredited with the state (PA) and I am comfortable with taking online courses as I have done many in the past. Only difference will be this will be a full bachelor degree program (less the basic stuff, math, english, science, etc {I hope} as I have already filled those squares at least once before). I am pretty certain my veterans benefits will cover it and if so I am willing to give it a shot. If not I stick to books and free tutorials!
Windows 7 & CS5 Design Premium, restoration in work photos uploaded at GaryHaley.photoshop.com

Tori803

Either way, sounds like you'll be busy!

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge