• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

PhotoShelter changes

Started by haleygd, June 10, 2010, 08:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haleygd

Hi Hannie,
Just visited PhotoShelter so I could upload my restoration and I cannot find the upload feature anymore. There appears to be a new look and feel to the layout. Am I going crazy or did they forget the upload feature?
Windows 7 & CS5 Design Premium, restoration in work photos uploaded at GaryHaley.photoshop.com

Hannie

Hi Gary,

No, you are definitely not going crazy!
Photoshelter has had another update, we didn't know about this.  I only just found out when I tried (in vain!) to send out Invite emails.

I am going to try and find out later this evening if I can locate a Photoshelter change log and I will update on anything new as soon as I can.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Gary, you are not crazy, but I am fast headed that way!!!!  :mad: My hats off to PhotoShelter for the Banana Peel on the Floor Award*. I just got off the phone with them and we are now in possession of our very own super-duper-customized-personalized gallery. I said thanks, but no thanks, but that is not an option. Supposedly we were to have received an email telling us of this change. I'm sure that email is setting in some secure area that I never thought to look.

Unlike all the other changes, this one is going to take a while to sort through. What I did gather is that members will now have to do their picking a photo by means of the lightbox and I guess then that comment goes to us. The other problem I have now is that the instructions we send out and also on the Official OPR Handbook are totally obsolete. We will keep all of you posted as we know more. Thanks for any patience you muster at this point.

As to the PhotoShelter Uploader that has changed too. As to the old way of uploading, I do not know if that is even an option or how it is handled. We will be looking into purchasing a flock of carrier pigeons to assign each volunteer a bird so that they may upload that way. Check your local feed store on how to care for your pigeon.

Some days it doesn't pay to get up.  :(

Margie

*Footnote

PhotoShelter has donated their service to OPR--so I will try to curb my frustration.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

I just gave it a try and managed to find the page with the upload button. You have to log out if you're logged in and just go to http://www.photoshelter.com/ log in and click up on the welcome back (your name) and you should see the upload button.
I cant see anything useful on the photoshelter/opr page.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

haleygd

I followed Tassie's trail and have uploaded a file for Hannie. Let me knwo if you get it.
Windows 7 & CS5 Design Premium, restoration in work photos uploaded at GaryHaley.photoshop.com

Tori803

Margie,

Our little town doesn't supply carrier pigeons. Can I send my cat?

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Hannie

Gary, your upload worked fine, great job you have done!

Thanks to Tess we now know how to upload our restores. 

The next problem to be solved is the photo selection, where you leave a comment for the distributors.  As it stands it is not possible to leave comments (that distributors can see anyways!) but Tess(!) found out that this is a temporary situation and that Photoshelter will bring back the comment area. 

When is the big question but we will keep you updated!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Marydh

So glad to see the galleries back.
Loved getting a newsletter! :)
Mary

Candice

Quote from: Tori803 on June 10, 2010, 11:29:57 PM
Margie,

Our little town doesn't supply carrier pigeons. Can I send my cat?

Tori

That's cute.  Send cat but look for feathers in mouth.    :)

I like the bigger pictures in Photoshelter galleries.  However, I'm not fond of having to back button to see them all. 
Candice

Mhayes

Thanks Tess, Hannie, and Tori for all your help on this. Once PhotoShelter gets things finalized, we will have to have changes made to the Official OPR Handbook and the instruction sheet. I have a feeling that for members that don't check into the forum; they are going to be in for a rude awakening.

Tori, we ship you the pipeon, but on 2nd thought I don't thinks so. Cute kitty, Is she begging for food?

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

haleygd

I'm willing to rebuild the handbook instructions if you want. A non-pdf copy of the current handbook would help...

Mhayes

Thanks for the offer Gary. I'm curious why you do not like having a pdf copy of the handbook? Tori was good enough to have already done a pdf of the new changes, but until PhotoShelter gets all the kinks out of their latest upgrade and allows us to leave comments on photos--we will continue to wait. When that happens we will need to work with John, our webmaster, to get the changes online.

I personally like having a handbook in PDF format and am open to suggestions. If any of you find that the handbook is too large and takes too long to download and would prefer it broken up for easier downloading, let us know.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

haleygd

No, pdf format is great for universal viewing, but not necessarily for editing. In fact the current posted pdf is just a series of page images, I ran the OCR function in Adobe Arcobat to capture most of the text. But if the page count changes, the table of content would have to be updated to reflow and that would need the original document.  That's what i was thinking about at the time.

Mhayes

Yes, for anyone viewing the handbook they would not be able to edit the original. Since I have the original with all the pages--individual pages are in PS and Adobe Illustrator (Illustrator is where I designed the pages)--I would be able to revise. The table of contents would have to show new pages numbers if different, but it would be workable. We might have to have a temporary fix for instructions if there is a lot of confusion.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tori803

Margie, my little cat is always begging. We love her little 'bear' pose. However, we've had to move our cockatiel a number of times to keep her from becoming a snack.

As to the format of the Handbook there are ways of making the pdf file smaller. Perhaps someone should suggest the final file size they'd like to see it. The current size is 4.12 MB.

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge