• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Restoration Guidelines

Started by beckysell, August 21, 2006, 08:42:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beckysell

The image is sized and cropped.  Please do not crop, size or change the filename other than adding something at the beginning or end to mark it as being restored (an r, your initials, something along those lines).   

1.   Your main goal should be to restore the memory that this photo invokes in its owner.

2.   Do not over restore. If the image becomes unrecognizable from its original form, than you risk damaging the emotional connection that the image holds with its owner. It is better to let some damage remain in order to preserve the integrity of the image.  Also, please do not sharpen the image.  What looks right on your screen can look different when we print.

3.   Do not add what was never there. Adding an interesting background may make for a better photo, but it does not serve our purpose.  We've also found that while adding a gradient background can look good at times, placing items on a new gradient background can make the textures look too different.

4.   Do not use body parts from other images to replace missing ones in the photo that you are restoring. The owners of these images will immediately recognize anything that's "wrong".  If you have multiple photos of the same subject matter, it may be permissible to use some parts of one to better restore another, but only if the effect remains natural looking and does not adversely affect the integrity of the image.

5.   Stick to your deadline, though we are flexible if something comes up. The deadline is one week from when you receive the photo. If you cannot meet the deadline, we are flexible, contact us to work out an alternate plan. 

6.    Be proud of what you're doing. You have a great heart for volunteering!

havril

Hi Becky While I agree with you  100% about the "borrowed" body parts. There are many occasions when to leave half of somebodies face obliterated make the photo almost worthless. In most cases with the use of other pics of the same person it is possible to do a reasonable job. I wondered if there  is some way to request other pics either through you or direct from the family themselves.

Harvey

beckysell

You are correct in that some cases require rebuilding.  For many of the older photos, there is not much we can do to get additional ones.  For some, we actually have multiples of that person.  Let me know if you have an image that would require that, as I may already have a photo to help from the rest of their order.  In some cases we may be able to get other photos as well.
We do ask that families not be contacted without checking with us first. 

cmpentecost

As an additional suggestion, I'd ask volunteers not to change the original name of the photo.  For example, if the photo name is JonesR_5_3, please leave that as the name, or perhaps name it JonesR_5_3 DONE. This helps me when collecting photos and getting them ready for QC.  Most of your are already doing this, but when I've had the name changed, then I have to search for the photo identity.

Thanks so much!   :up:

Christine

cmpentecost

As a special note to all volunteers, the work you are doing for OPR is very special, and unique.  We have put guidelines into place, such as for limited cropping, and no vignetting, and no borrowing of body parts, to help maintain the originality of the photo, and the integrity of OPR.  If I or any other OPR admin. person ever comments to you about your photo, in which something doesn't look right....PLEASE....do not take this personal.  I know the artistic ego is very fragile, but please keep in mind who you are restoring these photos for.  I am seeing such fabulous work being done.  However, once in awhile I'll see something that you might miss.  It's nothing personal.  I just want us to return the very best photo possible.

The forum is a great place to post your photos, because you get the necessary feedback, and I don't think I've ever rejected a photo that's been reviewed and discussed in the forum.  If you are in question or doubt about your photo, please post it.  Any suggestions made are not personal, nor are they personal attacks.  It's just what people see. 

Having been on the Biloxi trip to gather damaged photos, the overwhelming gratitude of the owners of these photos for what we are able to do was outstanding.  I just want us, as OPR, to keep our promise to maintain the integrity, and originality, of all the photos we collected.

My best to all of you.

Christine

cmpentecost

Hi all,

I'm seeing some truly beautiful restorations being returned, and I have been very impressed with the hard work all of you are doing.  While you aren't seeing a lot of Becky in the forums, she is working hard behind the scenes with quality control, and she has said the same thing.

One thing we have noticed on a few photos is a bit too much cropping.  Please don't crop unless you have no alternative, based on the amount of damage in the photo.  We want to return these photos back to the owner as close to the original as possible.  Secondly - no teeth whitening!  We don't want Hollywood to be envious of all the white teeth the people in our photos are getting!  Same for zit removal on our teenagers...while I'm sure they'd love to have their photo with a clear complexion...we need to retain as much of the original image as possible.

Keep up the great work everyone!!    :up: :up:

Christine

sharpshooter

Hi everyone, I have just requested my first picture, but I have a question.  I see in some of the gallery photos, the original has red eye problems, do we fix red eye? or in the case of animals, green or blue eye?

Thanks

Ron
PS CC, 2010 Mac Pro, Wacom fan.

Tess (Tassie D)

The general consensus on red eye removal is yes, but subtle. Try to make it less noticable but don't give lovely whites around the pupil. Be as confident you have the right colour as you can. We wouldn't like to send back a photo with lovely bright blue eyes when the person in the photo has dark grey eyes.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Hi Ron,

Yes, fix the the red eye. I would do the color correction first and hopefully that would give you some idea if the animal's eye color.  Then I would do the red eye correction part. Is this a cat?

Great to see you on the forum!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

sharpshooter

No, this is not a cat, more of a general question before I start restoring. I know what I would do to my own pictures, but I want to make sure I am within the guidelines here.  As to the animal eye color, I haven't had an eye color problem with our two cats, but our two dobermans have had a lot of green eye pictures.

Thanks for the guidance.

Ron
PS CC, 2010 Mac Pro, Wacom fan.