• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Upgrade to CS 4

Started by Mhayes, October 17, 2009, 10:41:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

Normally I upgrade to the latest version of PhotoShop, but this time I got comfortable with CS2 and got left in the dust. I am planning to upgrade to the latest version: CS4. For those of you that have worked on CS2, am I in for a totally new PhotoShop? I do have Lightroom2, so working in Raw in CS4 should look familiar. Let me know things you like and those you don't.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

VBrestorer

Marge:
Like you, I've held back from upgrading to CS4.  In my case, I decided to take the (monetary) leap from Photoshop Elements to Photoshop at the CS3 level.  It just so happened that I purchased CS3 close enough to the release of CS4 that I was eligible for a free upgrade to CS4, which I received in the mail some time back.  Because when CS4 was first available I heard so many negative things about it, I decided to stick with using CS3.  But it seems that those who fought the learning curve on CS4 now think it's great.  I'm still on the fence so will be keeping an eye on this thread to hear what others think of CS4.

Larry

schen

I am still waiting for Santa for CS4.  From what I saw, CS4 camera Raw will let you do layer/mask. 
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Mhayes

Thanks Larry and Shujen. I forgot to mention that if you are a member of NAPP, Adobe is offering 15% off of software until November 30. While looking for comparisons between upgrades, I came across this: http://reviews.photographyreview.com/blog/photoshop-and-bridge-cs4-preview/

The one thing I liked in CS2 was the ability to create a PDF slide show that could be sent in an email. I think that has been dropped? With Lightroom2 I can create a slide show, but don't think I can in CS4. Starting in CS3, you could use Smart Objects to go between LR and PS CS 3 and up, but not in CS2.

For those with CS 4, does it operate slower? The one thing I have heard is that Bridge now works better and is faster.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Margie,

I went from CS2 to CS4 and found it to be a great improvement.
The adjustment panel is great, all adjustments and masks are in one location on the right side of the desk.  Much easier to edit.
The curves and levels you can see in one box, I found that really handy.  You can turn that feature off as well.

The tabs of the opened photo files are in one window, much like a browser.  Of course you can change it to any other view if you like.

The eyedropper comes in 7 flavors now.

What I love the most is the new feature for the cloning and healing brush:  life preview cloning!  That makes cloning of patterns so much easier. 

You can still make slideshows, it is available in Bridge under the Output module.  PDF and all.

CS4 does not operate slow at all for me.

Hope this helps,

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

kiska

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Tori803

I went from CS2 to CS4 and was quickly comfortable with CS4. The pattern maker and extract presets, and a few other things, didn't come with CS4, but if you want them you can download them from Adobe at http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4048.
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Mhayes

Thanks everyone, I'm sold on getting CS4! I went on line to see some some of the Russell Brown's tutorial videos: http://www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html Since they are fairly large: 9 MB to 14 MB; I downloaded to my computer to play later.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

startup_eng1

Since no one mentioned 64-bit, I will offer a warning for those getting new workstations. PS is the currently the only 64-bit program in the suite. When installing on a 64-bit workstation (PC) you will need to install both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions. Reason is almost all the plug-ins are still 32-bit. So if you want to use them, you have to run the 32-bit version. Plus, you cannot run both versions simultaneously. So why the 64-bit version? Good question. It does run a lot faster since it does support graphic cards now. But for photo restoration, the 32-bit version with the advantages of using plug-ins still seems the best way to go for now.

Also, when installing on a 64-bit PC, use MSConfig to turnoff all your startup programs. Then reboot and then turnoff your virus protection and firewall. This should allow you to get fully installed without an error occurring. Once installed restore all that was shutdown.

Hope this helps.

Mhayes

Thanks for the info. I hate to sound clueless, but by new workstations--for gaming?

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

schen

Quote from: MarCat on October 19, 2009, 01:36:17 AM
Thanks for the info. I hate to sound clueless, but by new workstations--for gaming?

(PC)

With all the compatibility issues, I have no desire to try 64-bit.  They tried so hard to make the 32-bit systems compatible to the 16-bit software, then they took a great leap over.  :huh:

Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

david_gr

I found this warning for users of CS4 in my PCWorld today.  Everybody has probably updated their CS4 but just in case here it is:

The Adobe® Photoshop® CS4 11.0.2 update addresses a number of critical issues and vulnerabilities discovered after Adobe Photoshop CS4 and Photoshop CS4 Extended (11.0 and 11.0.1) software were released.

Critical vulnerabilities have been identified in Photoshop CS4 11.0.1 and earlier for Windows and Macintosh that could allow an attacker who successfully exploits these vulnerabilities to take control of the affected system. A malicious .ASL, .ABR, or .GRD file must be opened in Photoshop CS4 by the user for an attacker to be able to exploit these vulnerabilities. Adobe recommends Photoshop CS4 customers update to Photoshop CS4 11.0.2, which resolves these issues.

The Photoshop 11.0.2 update also addresses a number of problems with brushes, styles and gradient preset files discovered after Photoshop CS4 was released.

Note: None of these issues affect Photoshop CS5.

Link for PC is http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4713 and for Apple is http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4712.

Hope this helps.  :)

David Gr

glennab

David, that makes me especially glad that I jumped from CS2 to CS5.  A bit of an extra learning curve, but so far 5 seems really stable.  I've heard nothing but good about this upgrade.

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)