• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Cedar Rapids Day 1

Started by beckysell, October 09, 2009, 11:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beckysell

Day 1 went well!
We got settled into the African American Museum of Iowa in Cedar Rapids this morning, after heading to the KGAN television station for an early morning interview for Margie Hayes (President).  With one copy-stand for the morning, and setting up another in the afternoon, there was a slow intake of community members with photographs, but gave us time to gather the museum's photos that were damaged in the flooding.
Throughout the day two more television stations did interviews, as well as the The Gazette (newspaper) and Iowa Public Radio.  That on top of Margie doing an interview yesterday, and other calendar postings, emails sent, press releases, etc., we hear we will get a large turnout tomorrow (Saturday).  
"Can you smell the flood?" one television cameraman said.  
It's true: the photos, albums, and pages after the waters came and went have a smell.  Like dirt and mud and mold and something I can't seem to describe... like what's left in a dried up puddle... but bigger.  "Once you smell it, you never forget it."
It was a day filled with looking at history in the photographs of the museum, getting everyone ready on the organization of photo intake, some hugs and tears and tremendous stories, some laughs with one another as volunteers got to know each other.
One woman that touched us brought in photos from her brother's house as a last resort before they were to be thrown away.  Page by page we turned through the albums and picked out what we thought could be salvaged, either by her or by us.  With tears in her crystal blue eyes, she told us about the flooding (her house made it through), shared some stories behind the photos, where the children in the photographs are now, and how she was going to give photos salvaged to the loved ones in the them.  On her way home, she was so kind to think of us and bring back some Czech pastries from a bakery in Cedar Rapids.  Such a sweet surprise, and a truly kind and appreciated gesture!  
And that's just one from throughout the day.  It's always hard when photos are too far-gone for OPR to take on, and hurts our hearts when there is nothing more we can do.  But still so rewarding is when we are able to tell someone that we can restore their treasured photographs, knowing that you, our amazing network of volunteers, are there.  Scott Crossen, from DigMyPics, a continued supporter of OPR, and his family are kicking off their fall vacation by helping with the copy-run!  Jan, Margie, Vickie and Katie are here as well, all plugging away on going through photographs, taking information, copying them with cameras, and inputting the data with the photographs.  Also, thank-you to all of those kind donors who helped fund this copy-run and keep OPR going!  
You all, as well as these folks, are a continuous reminder of what makes OPR what it is: the volunteers.  I feel lucky that we can tell people that we can restore their photographs because we know full-well the talent of the volunteers in OPR and what you can accomplish.  You all are making such a difference one photo at a time!  Many of these folks held onto their damaged photographs, smell and all, for 15 months not sure what to do.  Now they know.

Hannie

Hi Becky,

Thanks so much for taking the time to report to us. 
It is very touching to read about the people of Cedar Rapids, I hope the word gets out to everyone to bring in their treasured memories on Saturday.
I have been reading your Tweets as well, thanks! (link on OPR homepage)

Hi to everyone and wishing you all a very busy day today!
(dang, I missed out on the kolaches, did you save me some?)

:hug:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

beckysell

Thanks Hannie!  People were just saying yesterday that they wish you were here!
And the kolaches were great!  We have poppyseed, cream cheese and apricot left... I believe strawberry got eaten!
Well, time to get ready for Day 2!

Hannie

Quote from: beckysell on October 10, 2009, 09:58:19 AM
...the kolaches were great!  We have poppyseed, cream cheese and apricot left... I believe strawberry got eaten...

Sure Becky, rub it in some more, now I'm in the kitchen baking cookies (and my full length mirror says I really shouldn't)

:loveit:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]