• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Late summer break

Started by Hannie, August 22, 2009, 02:15:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannie

Hi everyone,

Monday 25 August I will be going to France for 5 days so it may take a little longer to get your Upload Received or Invite email during that period. 
I am going to take my netbook and I know that there are quite a few hotspots along the road there and on the way back.  Once I arrive at my destination it will be very interesting to see if my little plan to use a local provider (prepaid + dongle) will work in the South of France!

I'm sure it will but don't think I have forgotten you if it takes a little longer than usual to get a reply!

Au revoir!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

VBrestorer

Hannie:
You can't imagine how great a "trip to southern France" sounds to most of us in the USA.  For most of us, it would be the trip of a lifetime.  My daughter and my wife are both infected with wanderlust so love to travel and have traveled in Europe several times.  (A few years ago my daughter spent a year in London getting her masters degree at the London School of Economics, and used London as her launching pad to visit Ireland and countries on the Continent when she could.)  So far they've only allowed me to travel with them on one trip, which was to London -- I get up too late and move too slow for them.

If you're traveling by car, it looks like you'll pass through Belgium and/or Luxembourg, other countries many of us on this side of the pond would like to visit.

Coincidentally, just before coming upstairs to check on the websites I frequent, I was watching a travel program on our public television system.  It was a Rick Steves travelogue to Provence in southern France.  (In case you don't know of him, Rick Steves is a travel writer popular here in the US, producing TV programs and travel guides to mostly European countries, highlighting what to see, what to watch out for, when the best time is to go, where the best deals are, etc.)

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your vacation.  If you can, please takes lots of pictures that you can share with us when you get back.  Enjoy yourself.

Larry

PS:  Don't forget that you'll have to allow yourself a couple of days after you return from your vacation to recuperate!

Tess (Tassie D)

You lucky thing Hannie. We'd need water wings to drive to France. :) Yes we want lots of pictures. Have a great time and stay safe.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Hannie, I wish we could have GPS installed in your car so that we could follow you--more like to make certain you come back.  ::) We expect lots of pictures upon your return.

Have fun!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Atlantis

Don't you have classes to teach???
Have fun in France!
The only way to get better is to figure out what I did wrong.

Hannie

Larry, going to the States and seeing the Grand Canyons for me was the absolute trip of a lifetime!  As a matter of fact the whole state of Arizona stole my heart, I miss it terribly and I feel "homesick" for the place from time to time.  (I must have been an Apache or Navajo in a past life, I'm sure..)
The last time I was in France is almost 20 years ago.  I went there about 3 times and they were not memorable visits.  The local people at that time were not very communicative and standoffish. 
I have been told that has changed a lot now and I'm beginning to believe it's true: I made several phone calls to France this week and folks were very friendly and helpfull and didn't mind me speaking French very poorly at all!  lol! 

If the place turns out to be nice I may not come back Margie, Holland is getting too congested for me!  We have GPS but I'll wrap tinfoil around it so you won't know where we are!

Tess, thanks for the wishes, I'm only taking my point and shoot (on account that I don't have a SLR!) and will try to make a few nice shots over there.

Atlantis, I have been found unfit to be around children any more...Just kidding!  Thanks for the nice wishes!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]