• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

A desperate plea for tech help!

Started by glennab, August 18, 2009, 03:22:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John

Quote from: glennab on August 19, 2009, 06:48:25 PM
BA & Larry

I'm about to leave for home, and I've copied the url from here to try at home.  Good thought.  I retyped it earlier on, but didn't think to copy and paste.

Shujen, I've cleared cookies, cakes, chocolates – history, personal history - heaven knows what I've wiped in doing that.  But no cigar.

And Chris, I'm hooked directly into a router, and Lon's access is wireless.  I'm not sure I have an actual modem.  But I did disconnect for 45 minutes per your suggestion and still no difference.

Thanks so much for your input.  You're all awesome troubleshooters, and I so appreciate your sharing your expertise with me.

Later this evening look for either fireworks or tons of blue smoke!

Hugs

GK

Are you just disconnecting power, then plugging back in?  If it is a setting in your router that is causing this, powering down and powering up the router will not fix that.  You need to try to completely disconnect the router from your computer and from the power.   Then find the cable that is connected between your router and your computer.  Unplug the end that is connected to your router (keep the end connected to your computer plugged in) and then connect directly to your cable or DSL modem.  We are making an assumption that your modem and router are two separate devices, but they might/could be the same unit, so you will need to tell us that.  If you have a brand/model number that would be useful info.

I can access the site from home, work, and mobile, so it is not an issue with the forum from what I can tell.

John

Glenna, on second thought, I am not going to do anything with your login info until you can reply with the info re: your router etc.  Let's not muddy the waters any more than they are at this point.  After all, your login info works from other computers.

Ausimax

That just proves it!  I always said Glenna could "talk the leg off an iron pot", now look, she has talked the connection off her computer! :funny:

Sorry I can't be of help Glenna, I know nothing about Mac specific problems, and others have mentioned any other factors I could think of - if you were having connection problems in general it would be one thing, but just OPR that's STRANGE. :'(

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

glennab

Thanks, Max!  I wuv you 2.  I was wondering if you guys had gotten sick of my blah-blah-blah and drummed me out of the corps without giving notice, but then I realized you wouldn't do that to me.  You'd have to hand out some off-the-wall comments and THEN drum me out.

John, I'll get the information on my router to you via e-mail or on the forum tom'w.  I've been thinking that I don't actually have a modem, but it's internal.  I'll find the ends and eliminate the middle man (router) and see what happens, per Chris' suggestion.  Thanks for stickin with me on this!

Cheers!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

schen

Glenna,

Good luck with your trouble shooting.  Miss you.  But it is nice an quiet here.   :funny:

Shujen

Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

glennab

Oh, Mr. Shujen Chen - now you've thrown down the gauntlet.  Wait until I get back on the forum.  I'm going to achieve my 3000th post by driving you all crazy. (and as Lon would say, "and that would be different how??????")  Enjoy the peace and quiet for the moment.

Hugs!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Hannie

Shujen, I hope you are happy now, look what you've done!   :knuppel:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Johnboy

Glenna,

I have been following your dilemma. I noticed today on another thread that you said you had a Mac and a PC laptop at work. Have you tried to bring the laptop home and plug it into you router as you have your home Mac plugged in? If you haven't I would try it. I take it that you can access the Forum from that PC at work. So that is a known good machine. If you can't bring the work PC home perhaps you know someone else who would bring theirs in. You might even take your home system to work and plug it in or to a friends house.

What I am suggesting is to bring a known working machine and attaching it as you would your Mac to your set up. Or take your suspect Mac to a known working connection. Has Iron Man taken his laptop to a local coffee shop or some place that has a wireless connection and tried to access the Forum? From what you have said I assume you can access other web sites where you have to log in without a problem. Do you have anything set up in Keychain for the Forum? Since you have cleared cookies, cakes and any other electronic eatables I assume you have repaired Permissions.

Johnboy

Johnboy

Glenna,

Have you tried setting up a new account on the Mac to see if the problem carries over? If it doesn't then you have a problem with the first account. You could then delete it unless, like me, it is also the admin account. If so, you may need to do an archive and reinstall for that account. You might try to trash the Preferences in the first account to see if that fixes the problem. (The software will recreate new preferences when launched.)

I was poking around on the Macworld web site and came across this post about a virus which was just a Mac acting poorly. My above comments are based on what is in the post. If you want to read it:
http://forums.macworld.com/index.php?/topic/116610-imac-possible-virus/

Johnboy

Hannie

Not a day goes by when I don't try to think of a solution for Glenna's forum access problems.  Today I decided to be really smart and make a link that would allow Glenna to get to the forum in another way then the usual.  I have done it once before when I couldn't open a particular forum page and it worked.

I looked up the OPR forum server IP number and typed it into this link: http://67.205.56.18/forum/index.php
It didn't work, dang!
Then I looked up the server IP again and noticed that it wasn't a unique number, it is also used for a website called "Onlocationvacations.com".

Now how is that possible and what am I missing here? (not as smart as I thought anyway!)

::)

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

JB and Hannie

I appreciate that you're mulling over my dilemma.  JB, we have a PC at home that has the same problem.  What Iron Man and I think is that my user name and password were corrupted while I was on the forum (we have a lot of power surges, outages and lightning).  What Lon told me was that he'd have that happen at the engineering firm once in a while and couldn't access a file because a lock was placed on the file until it was closed.  In order to correct the problem if the file closed unexpectedly because of a power problem, an administrator would have to go to the server and delete the .lck files and everything would be fine.  I suspect I have the equivalent of a .lck file attached to the forum and the only way it could be unlocked is if John is able to find it and delete it. Based on that discussion and the hours I spent with the techs at my ISP, that's the most likely issue.

If the .lck file can't be located, I'll probably have to become a newbie and then bust butt to catch up on my posts. Something you can all anticipate with huge smiles on your faces.

I just spent a fair portion of my long weekend agitating people on my face book page over health care for lack of anyone else to harass.  I'm a menace – and proud of it. But doggone it, my OPR pals are my favorite harass-ees.

We'll get it figured out.  Thanks for noticing that I'm still in exile.

Hugs!

GK

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Tess (Tassie D)

Glenna just a thought to try at home. Try going to http://anonymouse.org/anonwww.html and pasting the forum link http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php into the surf anonymously.
If it allows you to see the forum then Lon is on the right track.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Johnboy

I would suggest trying to take Iron Man's machine to another wireless location and give it a try. If the problem follows him then I think you are on to it from the file side. I am just trying to take the suspect to a known good connection in an attempt to isolate or confirm.

Have you tried Netscape or one of the other free browsers?

Johnboy