• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Mwilke Difficult Workshop!

Started by mwilke, July 06, 2006, 08:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mwilke

This is my second restoration with OPR and first difficult restoration.

What is left:
Blue right shoulder
Pocket/Button
Hat Medallion thing

I do not remember seing a circular device over the eagle on U.S. Army WWII hats. Although on a google search I found pictures of them. So i have barely started that. This is at about 2.5 hours of hard work...

Ziaphra

Great work so far...keep it up. :)

mwilke

Guys I am struggling finding the best method to eliminate the blue damage to the photo on the left shoulder (your left). The best route I think to take would probably having to clone the other side, even though that seems like the most laboirus route.

Also, what to do about the medallion on his hat? Should it be there, should it not? I can't tell in the damaged photo..opinions please? I need to get this finished.

Ziaphra

I think you have done a great job so far. I have PSPv9 and that has a 'change to target colour' brush which I would use to colour over that blueish tinge you have there...then I would burn that bottom left side to match the right...it is all very dark along there anyway. That's pretty much what I did to get to this...with a few more tweaks though...;) I did this very quickly and I'm sure you could do a much better job! :)

Kenny

I did some quick research and found the following info on the cap badges: 

http://www2.powercom.net/~rokats/cap_wwii.html

I'll look around and see if I can find a good image of a correct cap badge.

Kenny

*edit...

I found an image of the correct cap badge for an army officer's dress uniform. Here's a .Png of the part that's obscured on your picture:

It needs the color tweaked a little to make it match, but it's correct. Just right click it and either save it or copy it if you want to use it.

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

Peter_AUS

There not badges they are buttons.  It holds a chin strap so when it is really windy officers can put the chin strap down to keep their hats on.  The button needs to be in the image as it is an integral part of the Dress Code.
Regards,

Peter

Kenny

Not that part, Peter, they are  talking about above the eagle on the front of the cap. The insignia is called a cap badge. The one in the picture is an officer's cap badge. The main difference between it and one for an enlisted man is the officer's badge has the circular device over the eagle. The Png I cited was taken from this image:

When viewed out of context, it does look like the buttons though.

In the original post, mwilke stated they had never seen that particular badge on a WW2 era cap. Most likely all they had seen were enlisted men's caps.

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

milanab

it is looking very good...there is a button however that is missing on the restored photo from the hat band where the chin strap would be connected.. so Peter may have meant that button..
without faith...there is no hope

Peter_AUS

yep milanab that is the button I was talking about.  Being an ex serviceman (Australian Air Force), I did understand about cap insignias and buttons, but obviously didn't make myself that clear, thanks for clarifying my words, much appreciated.

Slashers cap insignia looks more like the one in the original post, the top section is more in tune with the badge than the restored one, looking at the style of it.

Small images on large screens can often be hard to see can't they.
Regards,

Peter

milanab

my dad was in the USAF serving in Korea 1950's, i have been restoring his photos taken in service so i have seen alot of these type things too
without faith...there is no hope

mwilke

First off, thanks for all the responses. I've been busy and only been able to dable a little bit on my roadblocks for this restore it helps to have a supportive community.

Thanks Ziaphra for the method suggestion. I think I found a method close to that, but yours looks like it will work better.

As for the cap, I'll use the stock photo you found? Is that what everyone has come to a consensus on?

Thanks Again,
Michael