• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

SAVE YOUR WORK OFTEN!

Started by cmpentecost, August 07, 2006, 07:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leah M

Hello to you all.

I'm new to the group and came into contact with OPR via Retouchpro where I am known as leanan`si.

*waves to klassylady*

I had read this thread a couple of weeks ago and had very good reason to recall it again last night.  I like to work into the small hours here in NZ and I'm currently working on an 8x10 colour photo which is quite complex.  Aren't they all!

I had merged down maybe 25 layers, saved,  and started on the next step and before I knew it maybe 4 hours had passed of intensive pixel shifting.  I felt that at last I had achieved the effect I had wanted on a Nun's face, rebuilding with minimal interference.  Perhaps I'm a little insane, but during those hours I had chatted with her and with others in the photo.  I hit ctrl+S and Photoshop froze.  Totally.  The hour glass hung there taunting me that I should have saved more often and I had words with the Nun .. kind words, sort of. Words like 'divine intervention' and 'pride cometh before the fall'.

I shut down every other programme, trying to free the computer up .. no go.

I made a coffee, I drank it and still that hour glass shimmered.

I gradually reconciled myself to losing the work I had done and took a screen shot, but I knew I wouldn't get that flow back for a while.  I was too bolshi to use ctrl/alt/del to end the task.  I opted to shut down the computer totally.  So I did.

Start - Shut Down .. and Photoshop freed up, just like that.  My ctrl+s at that point was pure desperation.  It saved!

I think the term is 'gob smacked'.  I swear that little Sister was grinning at me.  The funny thing was .. despite the shut down command, the computer never did shut down.  It just kept ticking over.

With kind regards,
Leah M

glennab

Good morning Leah,

It sounds to me as if you have a guardian angel.  And well you should have, tackling the restoration you're working on!

Welcome to the crew.  If you're involved with Retouchpro, you must really be a PRO -- and that's evident by your work on the Sister and her family (I checked that thread first -- couldn't even offer any suggestions.)

Great to have you aboard!

Best wishes,

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Kenny

Photoshop, while a wonderful program, is a quirky little devil at times. I know how sick that makes you feel to lose all your hard work. I personally shut down everything else while I'm using it. I have a GB of memory and it still hangs once in a while.

Welcome to OPR!

Kenny  :)

But why is the rum gone?

Ausimax

It certainly pays to save early and often, just one little tip, I often have little glitches where everything freezes up and won't respond and I find if I hit Control/Alt/Delete and when the Task Manager Dialogue box comes up, I don't end any tasks I just kill the dialogue box and everything responds once again.

I don't know what causes the glitches, it happens in different programs, I have a radio mouse that does some strange things at times and I think it may be part of the reason, I tried to get rid of it but it is the only mouse I can use successfully for editing, don't know what I will do when it does die.

Glad you could save your work Leah, nothing worse than loosing a lot of work, especially when you can't remember what you had done to get where you were.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!