• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

YOU GUYS ROCK

Started by Dave, May 11, 2009, 06:21:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

I just can't tell you how much your organization's people and efforts have moved me today.  I am originally from Galveston (moved there 30+ years ago), my 70 year old parents still live in the home I grew up in (which was severely damaged), and my brothers, myself and extended family frequent the island regularly to celebrate family occasions, holidays, meet up with old friends or just enjoy a relaxing day at the beach. 

I cannot begin to tell you the heartbreak I experienced upon our return to witness and survey the damage and ruin that resulted in the wake of Hurricane Ike.  Alongside my parents, I encountered the water, mold, debris, damage, the unknown, etc., etc. that they found in our family home, the more debilitating damage experienced by our neighbors (lost their home to a fire – burned to the foundation), and as we drove the island, the multitude of lost treasures and historic structures that helped to make Galveston my beautiful hometown– all of it made me heartsick.  The road to recovery and rebuilding has been slow but sure – for each of the setbacks, there was eventually a triumph of hope and progress made. 

However, it seems that those outside the affected have quickly forgotten that there is still much suffering and recovery taking place on my little island.  And then along comes a group of people like yours... incredible volunteers generously contributing their vital talents to ease our suffering and loss.  With these magnificent "acts of kindness", your group does so much more than restore photos – you restore memories, lives, faith in the humanity, empathy and generosity of our fellow man, and finally, hope. 

Photos, prints and art contain so much more than just their tangible presence.  It's the intangible that makes them so precious and valuable – new parents beaming at a newborn, a young woman gazing out upon an ocean or an exciting new future,  priceless heirloom art prints that survived a world war and other travels but fell prey to the waters of Ike.  That is just a glimpse into what your volunteers are attempting to save for my family and for that gracious effort, I am eternally grateful...

With much gratitude,
Pam

Pamela Swenson
Houston, TX
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

glennab

Dave, what a lovely thank you.  See what you started??  How does it feel to have OPR where it is after 3 years?

Not only are the people who have been helped by OPR profoundly grateful, but I can tell you that these years have been a wonderful gift to this volunteer as well.

YOU and BECKY rock!

Hugs,

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Hannie

That is a great note and thanks for sharing it Dave!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]