• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Graduation Photos

Started by haleygd, March 31, 2009, 12:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haleygd

On to the next challenge! Done the basic color adjustment (reds in the skintone of the post looks stronger than on my screen, I can work on that some more). I see 4 people in the damaged area on the right but I cannot see anything in the damage on the left. If anyone else can, please point it out for me. Right now I plan to try to restore the guys (#s 1 & 2) and only provide a basic blurred resemblence for #s 3 & 4. Given that, once I am in the home stretch I will look at muting (vignette, etc) the left and right sides, maybe a crop of the left side if everyone agrees there is nothing there.
Windows 7 & CS5 Design Premium, restoration in work photos uploaded at GaryHaley.photoshop.com

haleygd

Does anyone have any HowellP photos that include the two guys on the right that I can use as a reference?

Windows 7 & CS5 Design Premium, restoration in work photos uploaded at GaryHaley.photoshop.com

Hannie

Hi Gary,

I had a look to see if there are any other photos you can use for reference but unfortunately there aren't.
As there is no info in any of the channels as to what these men look like I would not worry too much and leave them in the dark/blurry.
I cropped the photo a little but kept the same dimensions.  I also did a quick black/white point curves and used the black backside of the Polaroid photo (held by the girl) and the white collar on the graduate.

thanks so much for picking one these last very difficult photos!

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

haleygd

Ok, I'll do a similar crop and keep on going...

haleygd

Suggestions on how to improe the right side greatly appreciated!

kiska

Gary, I used Hannie's example and did a VERY ROUGH block in. The boy against the wall appears to be looking to his left. The far right boy is totally gone with damage so make him disappear. 8) The lower guy seems to have too much hair. Maybe this will help.
The graduates tassel hangs all the way down the side of his hair, and try not to lose the mother's pearls.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

haleygd

Thanks for the advice! Now the trick is to see how well I can follow it... Going out of town for a week but will take the file with me in case I get really bored...

Hannie

Gary, I like Kiska's tips.  Another suggestion I would like to add is to repair the damage in the background instead of replacing it.  It means a lot more work but it also prevents the "cut out" look of the subjects in front of it.

Great job!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

kiska

Yeah, I usually paint large discolored areas the color that they should be then heal /clone for the texture.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

haleygd

Ok, I know its been awhile but here is my latest attempt to get the vague fellows to look adequately vague.... Hannie, what do you think? Ready to go home?
Gary

lurch

Gary, the sharp edges on the vague guys work against their anonymity. Maybe blur them out some? And darken the white shirt that really draws a viewer's eye.
<C>

haleygd

Good call Lurch, thanks. I have tried to soften the edges and darken the shirt.

lurch

Looks better, Gary. Can't believe how much you've gotten out of the original mess! Overall a great job. Just for the fun of it, I tried seeing how it would look with a more severe crop and really blurring and darkening the vague guys. My reaction . . . meh!

<C>