• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Plea for help with Photoshop

Started by glennab, April 12, 2009, 06:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennab

Hi volunteers

I've just had a very, very discouraging occurrence - one that I've not encountered in all my years of using Photoshop.  It flat WON'T OPEN.  I get an error message "The application Photoshop quit unexpectedly" (no s**t, Sherlock!). I bought Cocktail and ran it, thinking the system might need a cleanup, but no cigar.

I have CS2, and all the other software opens.  Unfortunately, that doesn't help with my photo restoration work.  I sent a report to Adobe but don't know whether they'll reply or circular file it.  I hesitate to reinstall, but I'm wondering if that's my only option.

Don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I'd just scanned a photo on my Epson and it took a while for that software to crank up.  I just can't imagine that a scanner glitch would affect Photoshop.

Hep me, hep me, pleeze.  Any ideas would be much appreciated.  I'm dead in the water.  What a pain!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

cmpentecost

Glenna,

I know you are a member of NAPP.  Try posting your problem over there, in the forum.

Christine

glennab

Brilliant, Chris.  I shall do exactly that.  I forget how many resources there are out there.  Thanks!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Tori803

I searched for "The application Photoshop quit unexpectedly" on Adobe Forums and found this thread:

(start)
http://forums.adobe.com/message/1630609#1630609

Hi, Every time I quit Photoshop I get the message the colored ball will appear and after a few seconds the message "The application Photoshop quit unexpectedly ". I have tried to remove the Photoshop CS3 Paths, the Adobe Photoshop CS3 settings and the com.adobe.Photoshop.plist. But without result. Does anyone have a clue how to solve this?

Photoshop 10.0.1
2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Mac OS X 10.5.2
RAM 2 GB

Re: The application Photoshop quit unexpectedly

Check this link out for a possible solution. Sound like a similar issue. Have you added an Epson Twain scanner driver? They seem to be causing an issue.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7091730
I deleted the EPSON Twain scanner driver in Library/Image Capture/Twain Drivers/... and the problem was solved! (END)

Maybe this will help.
Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Hannie

Glenna, what a bummer!  It sounds like a corrupted file, if you have an image of your hard drive you could restore it back to how it was before you got the error. 

Do you have a repair utility on your Mac (I don't know much about Mac use) that you could use to repair Photoshop?

Or you may want to restore the Photoshop preferences files to their defaults.
(Close Photoshop, drag the Adobe Photoshop CS2 Settings folder from the Users/ [username] /Library/Preferences folder to the Trash, restart Photoshop.)

Last resort is to reinstall Photoshop.

Good luck,

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

GK,

I asked my designer friend what she would do and here is her answer:

I would try  starting up with extensions turned off. PS may have conflict with an extension, especially if some other software has been installed recently. To do this restart with the shift key down. You will get a message asking if you want to boot with extensions off (or something like that) click yes or ok, you will probably have to enter your login and password. Once it is up and running try to start PS. If it starts up then there could be a conflict with extensions. Quit PS and shut down your computer completely. Start up again this will turn extensions back on. If PS doesn't start up then there is a conflict someplace.

If that fails try resetting the computers preferences. Let me know if I need to go through that.. Hopefully the above will work.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

glennab

Margie, I did a clean boot, but Photoshop still won't open.  What I DID discover is that in my library-preferences folder I'd guess 90% of the folder names look like this:

†ê)∂øˇfiĆ(A|ê)∏8ê(T|øˇfi–®#0

The boxes must be hidden dividers, as they don't actually show in the file folder names.  Weirdest thing I've ever seen.  I can't imagine that I can get away with trashing all those preference folders.  And ironically all the Adobe folders and files look normal.  I'm going to sleep on this (oh, uncomfortable!) and try again when I get home from work tomorrow.  The frustration factor is taking its toll!

Thanks for the assist!

GK

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Ausimax

Hi GK,

Real pain problems like this, a couple of suggestions, I don't know how this works with a Mac, usually with a PC if you go to Control Panel/Add/Remove programs, when you chose to remove a program it gives you the option of repairing, you can insert your program disk and it will replace any corrupted files.

The other option is to place a "~" in front of the name of the folders containing the corrupted files (the program then ignores those folders) then try restarting PS - if that works, again insert your program disk and copy those folder into your computer.

As I say, I have no idea how to do this on a Mac, but there should be a similar method - just one of the problems with using obscure computer systems, you cut yourself off from all that  knowledge available to PC users. :funny:

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Mhayes

Hi GK,

Just look at me as a carrier pigeon relaying a message. Here is her second course of action:

"I would try zapping the PRAM this will reset preferences. Restart the computer while holding down the com. opt, and p and r keys you will hear the first chime on start up and you should hear a second. When you hear the second let up on the keys. This may reset the odd preferences. If not and you try disk utility and that doesn't work, may have to reload the program."

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Johnboy

Glenna,

Fear, trembling, extreme panic. From what I understand about Mac Preference files you can delete then and the application will recreate a new preference file at start up. So it may be worth the time to delete all those strange files. You may want to disconnect your scanner before you restart in case there is something strange going on there.

While this has nothing to do with your problem I had a problem with my Canon scanner when I went from 10.2 to 10.4. It just would not work in 10.4 like it did in 10.2. After emailing Canon looking for perhaps a new drive which did not exist, I was told to unplug the scanner and plug it back in again. Funny thing is it worked. So now when I need to use the scanner I unplug it from the USB connection and plug it back in. So there could be some connection between Photoshop not opening and the scanner since that was your last operation. You might check with Epson to see if they know of any known glitches.

Good luck.

Johnboy

glennab

Hi JB

I totally relate to your first sentence.

The scanner may be the problem, because I've never been able to get it to just fire up and scan.  I have to turn it off and on, disconnect the USB several times, but then it always works.  I actually got my scan, but that's when I couldn't open it in Photoshop or even open Photoshop.  I'd also downloaded a ton of Easter photos from yesterday morning, and my Nikon was a little contrary as well.  So the problem may have already been there, or hooking up "foreign objects" may have been too much.  I WAS able to open the photos, however.

I don't keep the scanner connected to my computer.  It's usually stuffed in a closet where the fur-butts can't muck it up.  Contacting Epson is a good thought, as their products are mostly manufactured for PCs.  May do that this evening.

As for the preference files, I know Adobe preferences can be deleted and recreated, but with the new operating system I'm not sure ALL of the preferences can be trashed.  My library folder has probably 100 preference folders, the names of which now look like Klingon.  I hesitate to ditch them all, especially now that I can't even read them.

I'm using 10.411 as well, and I wonder if that upgrade has a hiccup of some sort.

I'm going to copy the preferences folder and e-mail it to work in hopes that my two gurus there might have suggestions.  You've all been wonderful with your expertise, and somewhere in the discussion the solution probably resides.

And my ever-helpful Attitude Ausimax, I have this to say to you: NYUK, NYUK with a raspberry or two interspersed.  Scott Kelby used to call you guys PC weenies.  He may have had something there!

I'll let you know what I find out today.  Thanks again for all the input.  LOVE TECHNOLOGY! REALLY! TRULY!

GK

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

cmpentecost

Glenna,

The problem obviously came when you hooked up your scanner and tried to scan a photo.  Since you normally keep you scanner unplugged from the computer, I'd make sure it's unplugged and maybe even uninstall the scanner software.  My guess is that perhaps you may need to update some drivers in your scanner software (go to the Epson website).  I'd look for driver updates before uninstalling.

It doesn't make sense that it has to do with Photoshop preferences as much as your Epson scanner, since that is what triggered the problem.

Christine

Tori803

Glenna,

According to this Apple thread (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7091730)
the problem may lie in the Epson drivers. The problem seems to pop up with both CS2 and CS3.

They write:
"I don't know if you solved this issue yet. I started having the same issue (the error messages were identical) after I installed the drivers and software for an Epson all in one printer and scanner. It only happened when I exited CS3, and on both my MacPro and MacBook Pro.
I isolated the offending item to the Twain driver for the scanner. In Library/Image Capture/TWAIN Data Sources was the driver for the scanner portion. I am using the printer attached through my Airport extreem, and thus don't use the scanner. I deleted the driver, and the issue is now gone. I finally noticed the scanner was showing up in my File/Import menu, and thats what made me drill into where the scanner drivers were.

Have you added anything like a scanner, or one of the new all in one printers. If so I would check out the drivers."

"Removing EPSON CX7300_CX7400_DX7400.ds from my Library/Image Capture/TWAIN Data Sources/ folder resolved my Photoshop CS3 crash on quit issue as well. "

Perhaps Epson tech support has more.
Tori

Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Johnboy

Glenna,

You have the right idea about having your work gurus look at the Pref folder. I looked through mine for my account and do not see anything named like you described. So I would think you would be relatively safe in deleting the odd files.

It sounds like Tori might have found the possible problem. Another place to look is at http://www.macworld.com. Check in their forum or the Mac911 column. It covers topics such as you are having.

As you said the solution is lerking in the responses. Don't give up the ship.

Johnboy

glennab

Chris, Tori and JB

I think you're right about the scanner.  I just checked Epson's web site, and according to their support area there is an upgrade to the software for my model, and also if one upgrades the MAC operating system, the scanner software must be uninstalled and then reinstalled.  So when I get home, that's my first procedure.  Makes sense because everything was okay until the fateful scan!

Here's the rub.  I get to work, and my computer here is acting up as well.  Problems we've never had before.  QUARK wouldn't open.  Fortunately my guru determined that the file I was trying to open had been corrupted since the last time I worked on it.  Artificial intelligence is out to get me!

My guru also thinks that I can delete all the "Klingon" files and the preferences should be replaced as I open the affected software.

So at least I have a starting point.  I'm glad I'm not afraid to jump in and troubleshoot – this is maddening.  And I'm so grateful to have all of you to give me feedback, thanks so much!

Just FYI.  Bejeweled is a great way to wind down when things get this bad.  Mindless but relaxing!  Super Text Twist is my favorite game  (go figure), but I didn't even want that much challenge.  I went to bed with klingon code and flashing jewels dancing in my head!  Scawy, scawy!

I'll let you know WHEN I'm back in business.  I do intend to have Bejeweled handy, just in case!  As Iron Man says, "One does what one has to does!"

Thanks so much, all.

GK

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)