• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

New WIP

Started by hoodman3, March 09, 2009, 07:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoodman3

This is one of my latest and I really need help. What should I do about the boy's face on our left, what can I do about the yellow/orange cast, and what do you think the name of the team is? Good neighbors or Good neighbor? All comments welcome.
Thanks,
Pete

Windows XP, CS3

Ratz

Hi Pete, I'm pretty confident the team name is "good neighbors"

Ausimax

Hi Pete,

This may or may not be of help, I took you image and doubled the size, so it should have been roughly the same dimension as the original.

1st, I used the Median filter at 2 to smooth out the some of the all over damage without loosing too much detail.

2nd, new layer set to colour mode, sample the predominant colour of an area and paint at 100% opacity over that area, do the same for other colour areas.

I didn't do any other repair, other than a bit on the boys face. this whole thing is "Rough" I spent less than five minutes on it.

The whole photo is degraded and not sharp so if you over work it, it will look artificial, I would concentrate on the kids, for the boys face try the healing tool, sample the best area of shin you can find and with a 2-4 pixel brush, painting following the natural contours of the face,then burn some detail for the chin line and mouth, you may have to use a colour layer to paint in colour to even it out.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Hannie

Hi Pete,

What a doozy you picked, no matter what I tried I couldn't get the colors right! 
The face on the left, you could clone in the other boys face and blur it some so it doesn't look quite the same.
I also think the team name is Good Neighbours.

For the color cast, that is a hard one and this is what I tried:
Selective color adjustment layer> pick yellow and slide magenta to +29, pick whites and slide cyan -40 and magenta -49.
Color replacement tool (thanks Margie) and repaint the dress, logos right boy to match the left boy, parts of the grass.
Max's median blur, only with strength 1 instead of 2.
Curves adjustment layer> end of line (black, lower left) a little to the right (0,11)

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

hoodman3

Thanks Max and Hannie,

Max, I got good results on the median filter, but at 1 as Hannie suggested. The color mode layer didn't work for me as in your example. I'm missing something?!?!

Hannie, part of the curves adjustment tip, "end of line (black, lower left) a little to the right (0,11)", I didn't understand. The other needed corrections can be  made and I can try the curves adjustment near the end.

Thanks again for your input!

Pete
Windows XP, CS3

Ausimax

Hi Pete,

The colour layer should have worked. I use it all the time, just open a new layer set blending mode to Color, then with the color picker select the predominant color of an area and paint with a hard brush at 100% opacity over the required are, make a selection if needed to contain the effect within tight boundaries. If the effect is to strong just lower the opacity of the color layer.

If you are using a tablet, I sometimes get caught, just as you select the blending mode the pen seems to slip and select another mode and if I don't notice I'm working away wondering why everything is going wonky.

Hope it works out for you, I find painting on a color mode layer a good method of removing some local color casts.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Hannie

QuoteHannie, part of the curves adjustment tip, "end of line (black, lower left) a little to the right (0,11)", I didn't understand. The other needed corrections can be  made and I can try the curves adjustment near the end.

Pete, I can see why the above sounded a little vague!

Hope the screenshot will explain better. 
(After I applied the color corrections the blacks in the photo seemed a little faded so I used the curves to darken the darkest part of the photo some.)

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

hoodman3

This what I've got so far. Any comments?

Print size is 4x5.

Thanks,
Pete
Windows XP, CS3

Tess (Tassie D)

Pete, you really love a challenge.  :wow: You've done a great job on it so far. I think the little girl's mouth and eyes look different so I used the original face on your worked image.

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

hoodman3

Tassie,

Are you suggesting that I use the original face? Did you add teeth? I don't see them in the GoffB_02 or GoffB_07 photos. Also it looks as if you made some slight color adjustments which look great. Will you let me know what you did?

Thanks,
Pete
Windows XP, CS3

Tess (Tassie D)

Pete, looking at the girls mouth I got the impression that the lips were parted, thats why her mouth looked quite large. All I did there was colour pick a white at about 25%opacity and painted a line inside her mouth. It ended up looking like teeth so I left it.

I actually did very little to the rest of her head, just a bit of smoothing on the skin, smudge and soften the hair to hide the damage.

As far as adjustments, I lightened it a bit, colour picked the grass and painted over as about 40% opacity using legacy colour. Same with the gravel area, fence, trees and the writing on the boys shirts and girls sash. I don't use layers, just paint right on the original.
I don't use Photoshop so its hard to put what I did into photoshop speak. :-[
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

cmpentecost

I think in the original it looks like she's perhaps missing her front teeth. 

Chris

glennab

I've seen several photos of this little lovely, and she's definitely missing the front teeth.  GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Tess (Tassie D)

I could only find one other and yes she does look like she's missing just the 2 front teeth so it wouldn't be hard to darken that area and leave the rest in.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]