• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Non-Photoshop Software

Started by Tori803, February 20, 2009, 11:54:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tori803

I was wondering what software, other than Photoshop, OPR volunteers are using to restore photos.
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Tess (Tassie D)

Hi Tori, I use Paintshop Pro X2. Just never did like how Photoshop worked and I learned on old Paintshop Pro 6 & 8.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

recycledhippy

Hi

There is a free Photoshop clone called 'Gimp' available on the Internet
If you 'Google' it there are a number of outlets that offer the free download

Hope this helps :up:

Hippy :up2: :up2:

Tori803

Thanks, Tess and Hippy. I'm interested in learning about the different options and their strengths.
Tori

hoodman3

There is an excellent chopper at worth1000.com that uses Adobe Elements?!? It's really up to what you feel comfortable with. My wife likes MS Picture It, but slowly getting to know CS3.

Pete
Windows XP, CS3

Tori803

Thanks, Pete. I've been working hard on learning CS4, but I have friends who ask about similar software that fits their budget better. So I've started a list a possibilities.
Tori

Hannie

Paint.net is free and from what I have seen pretty good, less chaotic then Gimp, plug ins and tutorials are available as well.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/freesoftware/ig/Free-Graphics-Software/Paint-NET.htm

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tori803

Thanks, Hannie. I'll check it out.
Tori

VBrestorer

Another good source for free software (reviews, ratings, links for downloading software, etc) of many categories, including graphics software is:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/

Larry

schen

One thing I like about GIMP is that it has a stand-alone version, one that does not need to be installed on the computer.  I used it when I was using some computers that I had no administrative privilege.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

Tori803

Larry - Thanks for the reminder. I've been to that site before for other things, had forgotten about software.

Schen - That's good to know about Gimp. I see I have some work cut out for me, getting familiar with all these different options.
Tori

Ausimax

Further to other photo editing software, some time ago I was using Serif Software's Page Plus 6, it was an older version that you could download for free, I found it quite useful, though I wasn't into photo restoration at that time.

To cut a long story short! I was on their site yesterday reading about their current version Page Plus X2, it now includes Adjustment Layers ( the main reason I abandon Gimp for PS) as well as the ability to open, save and edit Photoshop psd files. At US $79.99 it may be a viable alternative for someone who doesn't want to commit to buying PS.

I haven't used this particular version, so I am only going by the on site blurb.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Tori803

Thanks for the update - I'll check out their Web site.
Tori
Tori