• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Plea for help with Photoshop

Started by glennab, April 12, 2009, 06:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennab

WE HAVE PHOTOSHOPAGE!

You're all geniuses.  It WAS the scanner software.  I deleted all the related files after doing an uninstall. Then I deleted all the "klingon" preference files. Ran cocktail at least 3 times (the first two didn't allow Photoshop to open).  Third was the charm.  I ran several different functions (really wasn't sure what I was doing, just tried to be logical).  I gingerly opened all my other software and saved the best for last. Photoshop opened immediately.  Whoo hoo!

Here's the deal as best I can understand.  If the operating system is upgraded, the scanner software must be uninstalled first.  Once the OS is up-to-date, the scanner software can be re-installed and upgraded, if needed.  As it happens, mine does have an upgrade.

I somehow managed to save the scan before everything went nuts (a small bonus!).

Of course I'm too pooped to accomplish anything else tonight, but at least I know I can get back to work tom'w evening.  Thanks again for your expertise. You're all the best!

Hugs!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

schen

Sigh!  I thought only we the PC users had fun with this kind of problems.   :funny: :funny:
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

glennab

Shujen,

Sigh, so did I!  But I can't complain.  First time in more than 10 years.  While I was getting my computer back to work, hubby was in his office cursing and yelling at the top of his lungs, trying for the third time to install virus protection software (it was obvious from his interesting vocabulary that he was having the time of his life!).  I'll take my MAC, thanks so much!

Hugs

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Tori803

Glad you're up and running again! Computer problems are soooooo annoying.

Speaking of antivirus software, I once made the mistake of not following directions to uninstall mine before upgrading the operating system. After the upgrade I couldn't uninstall or reinstall the antivirus software. My work guru went to the software web site and found a fix for me. I'm not suggesting your hubby doesn't follow directions, but it's nice to know the answers lie somewhere!

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

glennab

Tori, first of all thanks for all your input on my dilemma!

Evidently Lon's computer was set up to automatically update some of his software (thank you, Geek Squad!), and that's what caused the initial problem.  He spent 3 days with customer service trying all sorts of things, and finally they found something that worked.  Good thing.  It's going to take weeks to get the blue air out of the house!

He's improved, however.  I used to be the one who'd have to try to fix his PC, and I know nothing about them.  At least now he'll work his way through it.  I just have to keep my ear buds handy when things aren't going well!  Wowser bowser!

GK

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Johnboy

Glenna,

Great to hear that you found the problem, and evicted the Klingons. It always feels good to conquer this dumb machine. The sad side is that something so dumb (the machine that is) always seems to come out on top at least for a while.

Johnboy

glennab

JB, I'm not so sure they're dumb.  Either they're smarter than we realize or they're possessed by gremlins.  I haven't decided which, but I know there's more than meets the eye.  Otherwise why would our computers at work choose to be glitchy just as we're in panic mode over a deadline?  Or the printer gets cranky when Admin and Art both need to use it at the same time.  Paper jams, dumped files, a terrible snickering sound from the depths of the machine.  Makes me wonder...

But I'm hooked, so I'll opt for dealing with the eccentricities and trying to control my frustration.  Keeps life interesting.  And heaven forbid that we should get BORED!

I can't say I miss the Klingons!  I had hundreds of folders that had to be trashed, and I can tell you that made me nervous!  However, so far, so good.

GK

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Johnboy

Glenna,

Possessed may be the word. If they are so smart then why do we have to program them to begin with they should know what we want to do and just do it.

Maybe the problems have something to do with artists. An artist I used to work with seemed to always have problems with her machine while the other artists had few. Some of them were serious work stopping problems. Give her a brand new out of the box machine and in time the problems would come back or different problems would arise. I came to think that perhaps certain people should not touch a computer.

I think the glitchy and cranky part is Murphy working overtime, and doing it electronically. As you know if he can mess something up he will do his best.

Just love those digital files, when they are working right!!

Johnboy

glennab

JB, you've definitely offered something to ponder.

Since my first encounters with computers, I've been shocked by everything involved in electronics – as in electric shocks.  My earbuds at work even shock me.  I get laughed at a lot (well, not just for that, but I'm just sayin'). I'm not sure I can claim to be an artist, but I'm definitely a creative menace.

I had a job working as a typographer about a hundred years ago, and no one would believe me when I told them that the computer constantly shocked me.  What the heck was that???

And Mr. Murphy RULES!  I live that every day.  Amazing at my age that I still love technology, even though it abuses me terribly!

Life IS interesting!

GK

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Tess (Tassie D)

Glenna you sound like me with our car, constantly getting zapped. You could get your workplace to get you an ESD mat to get rid of the static electricity. http://www.esdmat.com/
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Tess, great idea, but they don't work with me.  I'm destined to be electrocuted!  I've even asked my doctor about it, and he's baffled.

Really sad when I go to pet one of the cats and you can hear the sizzle between me and the fur-butt before contact is even made.  I reach out and say "oh, I'm so sorry, love" and they run away hollering "are you NUTS?!"

SIGH!

GK

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Johnboy

Glenna,

You must have some electrifying body. Poor cats. Poor Len.

I had an opposite situation from what you are having with a piece of electronic gear several years ago. A local printing company gave their Varityper imagesetter to my university department. It was old but it worked fine once I got the image size corrected. I went on vacation. When I returned I heard about the horror stories that the imagesetter had basically given up the ghost. So I turned it on and sent a file. Processed the film and it was fine. It continued to work until my boss's boss pulled the plug on our offset operation. Now go figure that one.  ???

Johnboy