• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Getting the dpi Right

Started by Mhayes, February 02, 2009, 06:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

Lately we have been having a recurring problem with photos coming back with the wrong dpi. This happened partly because of choices in Photoshelter and also with more people having Photoshop CS3 and CS4 and the capability of taking a jpg and opening in Raw to tweak. All of OPR's photos have 300 dpi for the resolution, but unless you are aware and change your preference in Photoshop Raw, the 300 dpi resolution will go to the default of 240 dpi. I have enclosed an example of where you what to change the default 240 to the 300 dpi. (those with CS3 and CS4, let me know if yours is different) If you do not do this, the resolution will be changed. I found out this the hard way when doing color correction for some wedding photos. I never gave it a 2nd thought, because the person was shooting with a Canon camera (although different model than mine). Because Camera Raw was set for each model, I never noticed that my dpi switched to 240. Luckily I only had to redo about 30 photos.

The other way that the dpi is coming back wrong is to make the wrong selection when downloading a photo.  You want to select "Original File," because otherwise the dpi and dimension of the photo will come back wrong.

Thanks,

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Atlantis

Oh, I never noticed that. Thank you for pointing it out. I checked my current restores, the first since upgrading to CS3 recently, and yes they've changed to 240. Now I wonder if I should start all over or just change it back to 300 in the image-size menu.

edited to add : First of all I could not find the menu in PS RAW to change the dpi to 300 and then I realized that would also cause a problem for my "normal" jpgs which are not always originally 300 dpi. So I tried to turn of the "open jpgs in RAW"-default. Which seemed to work ... downloaded the original once more, opened it in PS and ... to my disappointment it opened in RAW thus converting to 240 again ...  *back to thinking mode*
The only way to get better is to figure out what I did wrong.

Hannie

Atlantis, after you change your preferences for jpg you have to restart Photoshop.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Atlantis

I know and I did, several times yesterday and several times today untill PS finally understood my wishes. Sometimes it's hard to train this program ...
The only way to get better is to figure out what I did wrong.