• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

ChipIn!

Started by Ausimax, November 25, 2008, 09:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ausimax

I must say I am rather surprised at the slow response to the OPR appeal. I know finances are fairly tight for many at this time, no less for me, as I live on a very limited income.

Nevertheless, I find the concept of OPR too valuable to just let die from lack of support. I feel I have contributed a lot to OPR over the years in restoration work and input to the OPR community. That contribution amounts to very little compared to the value I have received from being involved.

I am one of those people who, by upbringing, find it hard to devote time to something that has no end product. I find it difficult to apply myself to learning something about PS if there is no end use for what I am doing. I used to fiddle around with PS and other image editors connected to photography - I learned the basics that's all, but I could never justify the time and effort required for no useful end product.

The same with doing Challenges at Worth 1000 or Innographx - with no end use the time and effort seemed wasted. When I discovered OPR that changed. Here was a cause where I could learn "how", and the time and effort required was serving a useful and worthwhile purpose. Suddenly, spending endless hours working on one photo became a crusade to recover these ravaged milestones of people's lives.

As much as I may have given to these people, they have given much more to me. They have invited me into their homes, introduced me to their family and let me, for a short time, be a part of their lives. What can be a more intimate relationship than actually having to repair their homes, their faces and the bodies of both them and their children?

These are the things that I find valuable in OPR -  the ability to do something of value for others and the chance to interact with that great group of people who make up the membership of OPR.

Come-on people -  Let's dig deep to make sure we retain this unique and incomparable organisation. So many of us would be lost without our OPR "fix".

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

glennab

Well said, Max.

As with you, I feel I've gained much more than I've given in my years with OPR.  Even though hubby's unemployed, I'm gathering up my "mad" money for the cause.  Can't think of a better way to spend it.

Bless,

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

kiska

Very well said, Max.   :up2:
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

John

Couldn't have said it better myself, Max.  Your testimonial might have to be included in our next email related to the fundraiser.  I think you hit the nail right on the head.

Dave

Max,

You brought tears to my eyes. Your note epitomizes what OPR is all about.

Thank you.

Dave
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

Hannie

Well spoken, goodonya Max!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Atlantis

Tonight I decided to wear the OPR-T-shirt when teaching class. Normally I never wear printed T-shirts at work nor white or black  (it makes me look so pale) so everybody noticed the difference. During the break I explained about OPR and the possibility to donate a few euro's for the good cause. After the break one lady, who had seen some examples at my home a few months ago, donated 10 euro asking me to "do the internetstuff". So that's what I did a few minutes ago. Some of the others wrote down the internetadress so they can have a look at the gallery. Talking about is does help!
The only way to get better is to figure out what I did wrong.

Mhayes

Atlantis, that is wonderful what you did, please tell your students how much their gift is appreciated! OPR's Fundraiser is slowly inching upward towards our goal and I hope to send out a news letter soon to all of our members that don't check into the forum. This money will allow us to be able to go out on copy runs and collect photos in disaster areas. I know that this year is really bad for a lot of people and understand that some people do not have anything to give, but for those who could spare a couple of dollars, your gift would mean a lot.

:loveit:

Margie

PS What class do you teach?
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]