• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Quality Control Guidelines

Started by Mhayes, October 06, 2008, 12:29:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Hi Everyone

We are seeing some really great restores being done and the quick turn around times has really been impressive. I hate to be the fly in the soup, but we are having some problems that need to be corrected before uploading back to us. Some of the photos being returned have problems that will not pass Quality Control. Normally if it is a small problem, the distributor will download the photo and correct the photo. This might be a case of wrong extension, wrong color space, or obvious damage left on the photo. Everyone makes mistakes and the last thing we want to happen is to make someone feel bad who took their time and energy to repair a photo. However, with the volume of photos returning and also the reoccurrence of certain problems, we felt the need to address the problems now. We also realize that there is so much to remember, that a slip up is bound to occur.

Here are some of the problem areas:

Restorable damage still visible on photos
Clone marks visible
Color correction needed
Vignette
Over sharpened
Substitution of parts not in original
Excessive cropping
Wrong color space
Resolution no longer at 300 dpi
Over saturation of colors
Size different than original
Background replaced

If you have a problem photo and feel that you need an exception, say like to crop more from the photo, ask us first and we will work with you.

If you get a letter back from QC saying that your photo has certain problems, do not take this as a rejection of your work, but rather a need to correct the problem. We are not singling out anyone's photos, since all photos have to go through QC first.

Thanks,

Margie

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

weewood

Margie,,,,I don't think that everyone understands just how much help they can get by posting their image on the forums. I know, back when I first started (with Becky Sells), I did not know about the forums, and I when I was finished with my image, I just returned to her, thinking I did a good job (luckily, she never sent one back). But, since then I found the forums to be very helpful. Input from others, can see things you may not, and I found that to be true with me. Maybe, we should request that every member, have their image displayed on the forums, for critique. That would definitely reduce the problems that you are seeing. Regards, David
David J. Davis

Windows 10 Pro, Photoshop CC 2018, Intel i7 4770K 3.5GHZ, Nivida GeForce GTX 1070

Mhayes

Hi David,

I agree with you on how much the forum can help volunteers, not only for posting for a critique, but to be able to access all the helpful tips. We encourage people to become in involved in the forum with the two introduction letters we send out. In the introduction that I send out following Dave's letter, is one explaining the system on what is acceptable and what is not. I also point out where to find more instruction on the forum by way of the Official OPR Handbook. All of the guidelines are available there.

When I do a  first download for a new volunteer, I encourage them to post to the forum if they have problems. Even though I think the forum is the best way to get help; I do not want to force every member to post their work to the forum. Some members would probably stop doing any restores if they had to go through that process and others would feel too intimidated to post their work. Also, I have some overseas volunteers, one in Iraq, where his uploading and downloading is a very slow process. It would be an extra headache to have to go this extra step. The other problem that the forum would not be able to solve is checking to see that the size and the extension of the restored is the same as the original.

I do agree that if volunteers read the tips on the forum and the instructions provided, they will have no problem in having their work clear QC with flying colors.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

weewood

Margie,,,,I agree with what you said. Thanks, David
David J. Davis

Windows 10 Pro, Photoshop CC 2018, Intel i7 4770K 3.5GHZ, Nivida GeForce GTX 1070

mitzs

All I want to say is if I ever do not fully restore a photo to the correct standards that someone please let me know. As a newbie to this field these are very important things for my learning. It doesn't help me learn if someone out of the kindness of their heart corrects my work without telling me what was wrong to begin with. It is important to me to know these details as I am sure it is to all newbies.  :up2:

Oldfaded

Yea and she got that just from my photos!!....HA...lol
good reference ....
I know I get too antzy, fast and impatient, need to slow my guns. :)
KATE
Old Faded Memories
-------------
Adobe CS5
Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2

Johnboy

While I have not done as many restores as others, I would not feel offended to have a photo returned if I had not properly restored it. I usually e-mail back to the person from whom I received the photo to let them know I have uploaded it, and to say let me know if everything is OK. If not OK, please send it back with a note about what needs to be corrected.

Johnboy

Oldfaded

Quote from: Johnboy on July 01, 2011, 04:20:07 PM
While I have not done as many restores as others, I would not feel offended to have a photo returned if I had not properly restored it. I usually e-mail back to the person from whom I received the photo to let them know I have uploaded it, and to say let me know if everything is OK. If not OK, please send it back with a note about what needs to be corrected.

Johnboy

Im in agreement as well. It doesnt offend me at all if Im not able to get the wanted results. I shall do my best keep on trying and only I know when to give in. :)
All the help here is so appreciated. :)
KATE
Old Faded Memories
-------------
Adobe CS5
Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2