• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Help needed with Coloured Noise

Started by Atlantis, September 25, 2008, 05:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlantis

This is a general question with a non-opr photo.
I'm working on a batch of scanned photo's from the late sixties to the late nineties for a big 40year reunion next week.
Thanks to all of you people here I learned how I could tackle most of the problems like faded B&W, dust & scratches, faded colours, red/orange colourcast but I don't seem to remember how to solve this problem :

After applying the levels & curves colourcorrecting methods the coloured noise seemed even worse when looking at "actual pixels" :

I thought I was smart trying to use the adj.layer Invert and then tried almost every blendmode but it did not do the trick.
Can anyone of you lead me to the right path??
Thank you so much!
The only way to get better is to figure out what I did wrong.

Tess (Tassie D)

I use neat image. Not sure how you do it in photoshop.

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Hannie

Hi Atlantis,

Is it a school reunion?  That should be fun after so many years!
I tried the following:
first levels/color/contrast etc adjustment, then I used the medion filter (1%) and block it all layer mask and painted over the areas that are noisy.  I did that 2 more times.  Then I used the Kodak Digital Gem Airbrush and played with the opacity so it it doesn't look painted. (finally I found a use for that filter!)
The image seemed improved to me but maybe it still isn't clean enough.

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

kiska

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

mschonher

Oh my gosh!  I need either NeatImage or Noisewear that is amazing.  I wonder which one is better?  The other question is how $$$ do they cost?

Mary

kiska

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Ratz

Mary, you can get a free, fully functional trial of neat image, that's the one I use. use the stand-alone version(it also comes as a photoshop plug-in) The only restriction with the trial is that it only works on jpeg and tiff files.But it's absolutely free!

mschonher

Thanks Ratz, I'll look into that one and the one Kiska mentioned. Does the trial version leave a watermark?

Mary

kiska

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Tess (Tassie D)

The Neat image trial isn't watermarked. The restriction is it only saves a JPG.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Kiska, that really looks great!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Atlantis

Thanks! You know I do have neat image (the trial as a plug-in) but thought there might be another way as well.

Another problem with the trial is you are restricted to files below a certain size (height & width in pixels, I think about 1024 x something) . With a pic like this it only repaired the centre but as the bottom and top are darkish and less important I tried selecting only those parts and ran neat image again ... : it worked!

Now all I need to do is clean up the few marks and spots that were left out and another memory is visible again.

@ Hannie, it's not a highschool reunion but a folkdanceclub with mostly studentmembers in the sixties, seventies and first half of the eighties. During the eighties and later more [ latin ]dancestyles were offered by separate dancingschools and nowadays those are filled with students and folkdancing is looked at as being oldfashioned and for old folks.
But whenever I give workshops to the "prejudiced" I find people to admit it's much more lively, fun, energetic, interesting, etc. than they ever believed it to be.
The only way to get better is to figure out what I did wrong.

Ratz

Atlantis, if you down-load the stand- alone it doesn't restrict file size, that's the one I use on these restos all the time.
regards Vicki.

mschonher

I'm wondering how do you know which one is the stand alone version.  I'm using a Mac if that makes any difference.  I could not download the home or pro version without first buying it so I tried the the plug in and sure enough it only did a very small area in the center of the photo.

Mary

kiska

mmmm, I would think the NeatImage demo wouldn't be a stand alone. Dunno tho.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro