• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

While Jan is Away

Started by Mhayes, August 22, 2008, 05:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

I imagine all of you have heard car ads where they announce the boss is away and they want to sell off a large number of cars before he comes back. That is kind of what I would like to do with some of the photos remaining in Jan's Gallery. She has about 9 families that have only 1 photo remaining in her gallery. These are the ones that I would like to see taken. I won't try and trick you like a certain Dutch gal I know into thinking that these are easy, because they are not.

I'm also thinking that it might be fun (now everyone is on full alert) for someone to pick one of these photos and then post for ideas on repairing the photo. For the sole purpose of a group project, I could download the full resolution photo to each of you. I know some of you are really skilled in some areas, so that might be a way to help out. Maybe even take a vote on those remaining photos to see which one you would like to see posted. I will only do this for one photo to start, in case my idea turns out to be a bust.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Margie, I'm all for trying the group project, I'll take the first orphan in Jan's gallery and start the topic.
I will only do it on one condition:  I also want a box of kudos!!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Hannie, one group project coming up--stay tuned for the unveiling.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

I am posting our first group project. This photo is still in Jan's Gallery and you can request that it be downloaded to your gallery or you can copy it straight from here. I have posted it at full resolution, so if you post your work back to the Forum, please keep it at full resolution. I know this is not an easy photo, but by posting it on the Forum will help other members gain insights on how to handle the tough ones.

Thanks everyone,

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Wow, what a doozy!  Maybe desaturate first and then try to repair with some of the channels.  The only problem with that is that I've never colored a photograph before and I'm afraid it is going to have the "dreaded painted" look!.  There also seems to be texture, wander if that is damage or not? 
BTW where are my cookies?  :knuppel: (will not push another pixel untill I get some...)
Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Hannie, I guess for cookies we will look to Tess to send some over. As soon as I get free (not like tied up), I will post a neat tutorial on coloring that I seen in one of the Photoshop magazines from the UK. I will take a look and see which channel looks the best to go with black and white to colorize.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

glennab

I have to confess to starting on this little guy way back before I had my health setback.  I'm almost embarrassed to post it, but there may be something worth looking at.  Hannie, the texture on this image looks like fine caked mud.  I actually sampled skin from another photo to try to get his face smoother and it looked good at first, but then I started going downhill and so did the restoration.  The mud and the color casts were what I found to be the most troublesome.  Since I struggled with him for so long, I'll be really happy to see him go home soon.  He's precious.  Reminds me a little of my son at that age.

It's a mess, but here's where I had to stop, for what it's worth:

I won't even admit to working for food on this one!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Hannie

Glenna, don't ever be embarrassed about any of the work you do for OPR!  Your version looks a hell of a lot better than the original! 

Apart from my thought to start out in black and white, I really don't know how to tackle this one, like you said, when you look at it closely the whole photo is covered in little cracks and muck.  What makes it even worse is that the photo is quite large.  I tried to make a layer with dust/specks removal. Than add a hide all layer mask and paint back those areas that I want to look smoother.  It makes the image too blurry, it wouldn't if it were a smaller size. 

The damage seems to have a pattern but when I tried the FFT filter the pattern didn't show.

Difficult restore!  :mad:

Hannie

This is what I have so far after desaturation and levels adjustment.
Quite an improvement, isn't it?  ;D

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Whoo hoo!  I can see we're going to make HUGE improvements on this one in no time.  It's an absolute bear, Hannie.  I went through every color space, every channel, color corrected(?), tried the blur.  I knew FFT wouldn't work, because it's not a symmetrical pattern.  I think it actually IS the imprint of dried mud.  I just started patching & cloning.  I think I got the bakground by patching a blue I discovered when I was adjusting colors.  The hair... fageddaboudit.  I've read tutorial after tutorial, read Mary's explanation, gotten samples from her, and it just doesn't happen!  Seems as if it should.  Just a bunch of squiggly lines for cryin' out loud! NOT!

I'll be interested in seeing how the heck we get this doll ready to go home.  I KNOW it can be done.  We're all pretty good at this.  We're just up against a nigh unto impossible!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Hannie

Yes Glenna, this one is going to need more than the 2 of us can offer!  ;D
It is very late here, way past my bed time but I was thinking to go back to color and in the selective color adjustment layer move the black slider all the way to the left in the red and yellow channels.

Goodnight everyone!

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Hannie, I hope you have better luck with that than I did.  No matter what color I selected, tweaking it in either direction made things worse.  I also tried going into LAB color, inverting the colors and then placing that file in the original and used layer blending modes.  At least I can say that one was especially interesting!

If there's any part of my original work from which you can pull (maybe the 5 pixels in the upper right corner), I'll be glad to send you whole file, or even just the layer on which I worked my "magic."  The background isn't bad, and if the color doesn't suit you, that could easily be adjusted.  At least that battle could have already been fought.

There must be someone out there besides the aged Garrulous Kraken and the reasonable facsimile Hannie with some ideas.

Cheers!

GK

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Tess (Tassie D)

I had a go at the face, think he's a bit pink though. After repairing the damage and lightening the dark spots I selected the face and hair, converted to greyscale then painted the colours in using overlay.

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

OK, thought I would just sit back and let nature take her course and then at the 11th hour I would chip in with some advice as you guys finished up the dirty parts. I really have been working on this one, but GK is not kidding when she says this one looks like caked mud up close. I am not even going to try to work from the colored version first. Right now I have gone into Lab and worked on the Lightness channel and tweaked with the Curves adjustment. After converting back to RGB, I added a Gradient Map to bring more detail in. I am now cleaning it up to getting ready to colorize. When I get closer, I will post my progress.

For those of you that are really good at painting, you probably have a better and faster way of doing this one. Glenna, I think you made a lot of progress on this one.

Margie

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Ausimax

Here is my quick take on this, its rough as I only spent about 15 min on it.

First I used a curves adjustment layer to increase the contrast, next I used the dodge tool to clean off the dark stains - then the healing tool in replace mode to replace texture and colour to the damaged areas - then in normal mode to blend it in - I didn't use the clone tool at all as I wanted to work with the texture rather than against it.

After I cleaned up the face I used another layer set to colour mode and painted the face with a pink skin-tone and reduced the opacity to about 35% - lastly I used the median filter at a setting of 1 to reduce the texture a bit.

I don't know if all these ideas would work as well on the full sized image, from the name I think it would be 8.5x12in and I fine the healing brush isn't as useful blending on large areas.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Mhayes

I think I may have shot myself in the foot on this one! It still comes out muddy no matter how much I work on it.

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]