• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

ODE TO THE VOLUNTEER! VOLUNTEER APPRECIATION WEEK!

Started by cmpentecost, April 27, 2008, 10:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmpentecost

Stay tuned for tomorrow's finale to Volunteer Appreciation Week!!!

I'll Show You A Volunteer
Poem by Foley

Show me a person who spends endless hours in training without pay,
And, I'll show you a volunteer.
Show me a person where a cry for help brings split-second dispatch,
Show me a person who is devastated when lives are lost or maimed,
Show me a person who is graciously welcomed as a next-door neighbor,
Show me a person who sacrifices homelife, TV... even tender moments,
Show me a person visibly moved at the strains of our National Anthem,
Show me a person who may be asked to give more than just dedication,
Show me a person who is asked to give more... and more... and more,

Behold thy portrait! — day by day,
I've seen its features die;
First the moustachios go away,
Then off the whiskers fly.
That nose I loved to gaze upon,
That bold and manly brow,
Are vanish'd, fled, completely gone—
Alas! Where are they now?..."

So lamented a poet in an 1847 issue of Punch less than ten years after the invention of photography. The same could be written about many of today's photographic images. People have been concerned about the permanence of photographs for over 150 years. Over that time period dozens of photographic processes have been used. Each has its own unique deterioration characteristics and, therefore, its own specific storage and exhibition needs. However, there are common factors affecting the permanence of all photographs. By controlling these factors, the deterioration of a photograph can be slowed, and its longevity greatly enhanced.(hence, the OPR volunteers!)

mschonher

Christine, thank you so much for all the lovely tributes this week.  I feel I am the lucky one to be able to contribute in my small way.  This has been such a great experience for me over the past 2 years.  I've learned more in that time than I dreamed possible.  The good people I have met on these forums are too wonderful for words.  I't's great to know I can come here and ask for help and always get the answers I need.  Everyone here is so generous with their time and their knowledge.  I love the people of OPR, they are the best!

And oh yes, doing this volunteer work keeps me out of the bars during the day.  :crazy:

Mary

cmpentecost

While Volunteer Appreciation Week is coming to an end, the appreciation and gratitude we all have for the OPR volunteers is endless...and priceless.  And when I say "we", I don't only mean the OPR "staff", but the families and photo owners for whom we are helping.  "Thank you" is only two little words, but it means so much.  You are all appreciated each and every day!

What else can I say but THANK YOU!!!

Christine

We really appreciate you,
Your helpful, giving ways,
And how your generous heart
Your unselfishness displays.

We thank you for your kindness,
We will not soon forget;
You're all the nicest people
We have ever met.

And, perhaps most of all, thank you for your perseverance of continuing to restore all of these heavily damaged photos!

"Even the woodpecker owes his success to the fact that he uses his head and keeps pecking away until he finishes the job he starts."      Coleman Cox

Mhayes

While being stranded in the airport for three hours this last weekend, I happened to bring along a book titled:  Me to We, Finding Meaning in a Material World by Craig Kielburger and Marc Kielburger founders of Free the Children. As I read through this book I kept thinking of all the volunteers in OPR who make a difference.

Free the Children started out by a boy of twelve who happened to see on the front page of his (Canada) newspaper the headline: "Battled Child Labour, Boy 12, Murdered. He researched for answers in the public library about children in slavery and became angry as to why this was allowed to happen. To make a long story short, he was able to start a chapter in his school, which grew to other schools around the country. Now it is a children's charity that has helped over a million children in forty-five countries.

Throughout the book are examples of ordinary people who accomplish extraordinary acts of helping those in need. I think OPR has the potential to grow and reach out even further those in need. All of you do make a difference!

Margie

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

jneil2

So well spoken, Margie. 

You didn't have any time to do airport-reading on your return trip, did you!

jan

glennab

Margie, the book you recommended sounds like a gem.  I'm putting it on my list.

FURTHERMORE: For a few weeks now we volunteers have received the gift of poetry and prose from Christine, Margie and Jan to thank us for our pixel pushing.  I suggest that the rest of us offer appreciation and kudos to this terrific trio who bust butt behind the scenes to keep us working and ensure that the restorations are returned to their owners.  The corporate jet and corner offices notwithstanding, they're volunteers too.  Ladies, many thanks and many hugs!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Hannie

You're so right Glenna, this is for all of you!

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

cmpentecost

Aw shucks...I'm blushing!  Thanks!!  Let's also include John, Dave, Angela, and, Mike and Becky as well, who still peek in from time to time!

Christine

glennab

Aw, shucks, Chris, no blushing required!  I singled out the three of you because I've waxed poetic on several occasions about the rest of admin.  The plan wasn't to neglect any of them but to especially acknowledge how much you, Jan and Margie are contributing to our effort.  I'd like to think that John, Dave, Angela, Mike and Becky already know how much I love them!  If not, I wuv all you guys!  Is that enough sucking up to get my darn raise?????  Jeez!

More hugs!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Mhayes

Thanks Glenna and Hannie; I'll be lucky if my head will go through the doorway now. Glenna, I'm afraid that is not enough sucking up to get a raise--sorry!

Jan, there was no reading on the way back, just catching my breadth and taking a cat nap! I wish every flight could be like the last one.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]