• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

A PC versus a Mac???

Started by mschonher, February 28, 2008, 04:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennab

Mary, you may not be able to add to a disk because you're not using the sessions function.  You can either burn an entire disk, or separate it into sessions, which allows you to add whatever you want until the disk is full.  I haven't been able to figure out the new system software for disk burning, so I invested in Toast Titanium, which is a great program for EASILY burning disks of any kind.

I'm with you.  I love the ongoing PC vs Mac dialog that generates so many laughs.  I've taken a lot of flack over the years for having Macs.

And Maxine is especially perfect if you're naming her after the old curmudgeon Maxine, who shows up in my "spams" from time to time. She always makes me laugh!

Enjoy your class!

Glenna

P.S.  I'm almost finished with my current restoration, and your tutelage has helped me more than I can tell you.  I have a way to go yet, but I can see that I'm beginning to catch on and have less trouble making my people more realistic when I have to rebuild something or incorporate shading for the same purpose.  10-Q, 10-Q, 10-Q!  (I must be regressing in my old age, because that "phrase" comes from Sesame Street back in the early '70s, and it still tickles me.  I use it at work all the time, and I often wonder if anyone gets it.  No one ever asks what I mean.)
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

mschonher

Sessions? I'll ask about it tomorrow. Sounds interesting, I spoke to a tech yesterday or the day before and he didn't mention a thing about sessions. I knew it didn't make any sense to be able to use one disk per photo. I have so much to learn but I'm enjoying the process. It keeps me busy and out of the local bars.
I'm so happy to hear that Jack Hamm's book is helping you with body parts. It's so much better than guessing what ears and noses, etc. look like.  You're welcome, you're welcome, you're welcome.........

Mary

petrik

Sorry to bring this post back up form the depths of wherever.

But this post should have been named Vista versus MAC (or whatever the OS version are on MAC).

PC's run more then M$ (that's Microsoft to the uninitiated) I've been on Ubuntu Linux for over two years now and never looked back.

Personally I think it was a case of a bad installation/machine. But that's all water under the bridge now as she's already moved to the dark side.   ;)

Anyhow I think it's time to close down this thread. At the end of the day it's the result that counts no matter what the equipment used was. It's the artist that does the work the equipment is just a tool.

Hannie

Welcome to the forum Petrik!
I have a question for you about Linux.  For a while now a friend of mine is trying to persuade me to change over from Windows to Linux.  I can see that there are advantages to doing so but no one has been able to tell me if CS2 and Linux are a good combination.  My set up now runs very smooth, plug ins and all but I'm always in for improvement.
What imaging software do you use?

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

mschonher

I had to chuckle when I saw this thread resurrected.  I have to say that I paid less for my Mac than I ever did for the wonderful Dell computers I used before I "went to the dark side"   LOL   I took to the Mac like a duck to water.  It is very easy to use and a lot less complicated than a pc.  If you are the artsy type the Mac is the bomb!  I'd never to back.

That Dell could have been a lemon but they were wonderful about taking it back.  I still have a Dell thats 11 yrs. old and runs pretty darn good, that being said, I'd never go back to a pc for photo editing and restoration or some of the other stuff I do.

Mary   

petrik

Hannie,

I have stuck to Linux software. There is a way that you can use windows software by way of an emulator such as WINE but I decided to stay pure.

For photos I use GIMP (www.gimp.org). I've held of with choosing a photo to restore for now until I can figure out a technique that so far has eluded me as to how to do it in GIMP and that is working with channels. I've read that you can salvage a lot by using the channels and though GIMP has channels it doesn't quite seem to work the same as what I see on the photoshop tutorials. If there are any other GIMP users here who have mastered this please do share. GIMP currently only works with 8 bit and I understand they are heading to 16 bit but who knows when that will be.

Ubuntu is pretty user friendly when all is working well (as are most computers when they work well) For what I do I managed to find substitute software for Linux to replace what I used to use under windows and overall it works pretty well. Plus it's all at no cost and free is always good.

Hannie

Petrik, there are a lot of Gimp tutorials on the net, there probably are some on the use of channels!
OPR had a Gimp section but lack of interest caused to be closed.  I don't know of anyone on the forum that uses Gimp but I'm sure there are.  From what I've seen it looks like a good program and like you said, it's free!  :)

The Retouchpro forum has members that use Gimp,here's the link:
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-restoration/13575-gimp-2-first-time-user.html
They might have the info you're looking for.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]