• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

A PC versus a Mac???

Started by mschonher, February 28, 2008, 04:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mschonher

Gee Dave, I forgot about those awful sleepless nights. My baby is 35 now so I have a tendancy to romantisize those good old days. One thing I can promise you is that it will and does get better and when Shane is 35 you won't even remember how much sleep you lost...............Mary

schen

Back to the original topic.

Mac is designed and manufactured as a system.  PC is designed and manufactured as components to be assembled into a system.  It is understandable that one may encounter more problems with a PC than a Mac.  With that said, I used numerous PCs from almost all brands including five Dells and none of them exhibited the degree of problems Mary had. 

I bought a new Dell two months ago.  The SD card reader never worked right.  I just downloaded my photos using a USB cable from the camera.  Yesterday, I decided to contact Dell technical support.  The technician used the remote diagnosis to run my computer for a while and was convinced that the problem lies with the hardware.  This morning the replacement unit showed up from an overnight delivery truck.  I replaced the card reader unit and it is working fine now.  I am pretty happy with the service they provided with the caveat that my previous career involved customer technical support and am fairly empathetic to the technicians when they were struggling with the problems.  (Although I never like the technical support of the cellular phone company.)

With my line of work, people either had no experience with a Mac or are reluctant PC users.  We never had PC versus Mac war.  With the camera owners I know, we like our Nikon or Canon but we never argued that mine is better than yours.  Maybe I should keep a distance from the photo journalists.   :funny:
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

mschonher

Hi Schen,
I have a Dell that is 11 yrs. old and still running and another one that's just 4 yrs. old and works great. Up until the one I just sent back, I've been happy with Dell and the support they provide, although, the support is not as good as it once was. I just think that I got a lemon and it was probably a fluke! Yesterday I went to the Apple store in the Annapolis Mall and checked out the Macs. I was very impressed with what I saw, so much so that we came home with one. The old Dell is what my husband has been using and it needed to be replaced/updated, so he took my newer Dell. I have much to learn on the Mac, but I'm up and running and have gone back to working on photos. So far I've had very little frustration with the Mac. It is beautifully simple and sleek.  I was just downstairs helping my hubby with his "new" pc and I like both machines. I don't want anyone to think I was bashing Dell products................Mary

Mhayes

Hi Mary,

Having worked on both, I think you will be very happy with your Mac. Except for the differences in some of the keyboard commands, Photoshop is the same for both. Should you want to learn more about your Mac, Robin Williams has some great books out there. I work on a PC, but when I can afford it I definitely want a Mac notebook. Have fun!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

kiska

Another mackie! Awwwwright! You won't be sorry.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

schen

Mary,

I am glad we have another Mac convert.   :up:

No problem bashing PC and PC manufacturers that's what we love to do as reluctant PC users.  I just didn't want to leave a misconception from our discussion that buying a PC from someone other than Dell would be a better choice.  I used several different brands including HP and Gateway and did not find one much better or worse than the others.

I am a very heavy PC user.  I run applications that beat the hell out of the machines.  I used to reboot my PCs a couple times a day just to keep the sanity of the machine few years ago.  Now I am rebooting them a couple times a week.  It is an improvement but not good enough for me.

Hope one day soon I will be able to retire from these works on PC and buy a Mac to enjoy.

Shujen

Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

glennab

Whoo hoo!  Mary got a Mac!  What model did you get?  I can pretty much guarantee that you'll be forever glad you got one.  Enjoy! (Be sure to play with the operating system.  There are so many little bells and whistles  - like the Widgets - that make it fun to use.)

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Johnboy

Mary,

Welcome to the world of the Mac. Most of the software that run both Mac and PC have quite similar key commands. The biggest difference is the Control and the Command keys. It's Command on the Mac. The nice thing is that your Apple store will train you on the machine if you need that kind of help. I am sure there is a small fee involved. When buying software for it be sure it is written for Universal. That means it will run on your Intel machine and on the older Macs as well. If it is written for 10.4 it will work on your Intel machine but run on what is called Rosetta. What I have read is that the software runs slightly slower than on a 10.4 machine. Enjoy!

Johnboy

Ausimax

Mary,

So you are the reason Bill Gates didn't top the rich list -- shame. :funny:

For anyone wanting a PC I would advise avoiding "Name" brands and getting one built to your specs or building your own, its not brain surgery. The only real dog I have had was a brand name, all my others have been White boxes and never any problem except with Bill's operating systems.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

mschonher

You guys are a hoot! I'm already loving this machine and I find that PS works the same with just a few differences of the keys. I'm going to a class this Monday so I can learn how to maneuver around the operating system. I'm sure I'll pick it up in no time. Thanks for all the great information and encouragement, opr has awesome members!
I'm going to look at the books that Margie mentioned too. Glenna I have no idea which model I have, however it was the least expensive desk top they make, I did add some memory though. I LOVE the monitor, it is far superior to the Dell monitor. Did you guys know that the Apple store sells a monitor doo hicky that you stick onto your monitor for calibration?..........doo hicky is a technical term at my house.  So..........Dave........I am no longer a PC Weenie...................Mary

Dave

Congratulations Mary and welcome aboard! Now follow me over to the table for some special Kool-Aid.

Dave
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

Mhayes

That sounds ominous--run Mary run!
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

mschonher

You are all crazy!...........Mary

glennab

Mary, normal people are BORING.  And this is not a group that could in any way be described as such.

I want to try some of Dave's Kool-Aid. (and I want the forumla - I hesitate to say recipe!)

I have to tell you that I had a PC-Weenie co-worker and friend who used to call me (forgive the term) a Mac-hole.  I wore the title with GREAT PRIDE!  That was 12 or so years ago, and I still laugh about the constant picking at each other over our computer choice.

Cheers!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

mschonher

Glenna, It's really fun to be here on the forum with everyone being so witty. Yesterday I told my daughter that she was a PC Weenie and she thought that was so funny. I'm just as nutty as everyone else here. I have even named my computer Maxine.
I'm so looking forward to my class tomorrow. I've figured out a few things just by playing around but so far I cannot figure out how to open 2 windows on Safari so I can post my first ever Mac restore. I'm interested to see how it looks on line, I hope it's not going to be a disappointment.
So far the only feature I do not like is that you cannot add to a disk once you format it. I can't imagine such a feature. This is my first question for class tomorrow.

Hugs..........Mary