• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Volunteer Info

Started by Dave, July 06, 2006, 11:13:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you like your name and email address to be provided to the owner of a restoration that you worked on?

Yes
25 (96.2%)
No
1 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: July 20, 2006, 11:13:19 AM

milanab

hubby wasn't as open to sharing email addys as i was.  he suggested a bulletin board with notes posted so we all see the comments and be encouraged
without faith...there is no hope

nellybean

I think it's a great idea!

oksyl

I have been involved with organizations that have pondered over this same topic. I think what works best is that if the volunteer wants to reveal his/her identity, let it be known before you accept each project. I think a lot of owners would be very gratefull toThank firsthand the person who restored their picture. As a caution, there should be a solid guideline about accepting any gratuities or favors for volunteer work. It should be forbidden, the making of a new friend should be enough of a gift. I have voted in favor of this issue.

Peter_AUS

Maybe an area where the photos are collected and returned from at photoshelter could be setup where everyone can see the before and afters together and the original owners could then leave a message there for the restore that way no info gets passed around.  I was thinking of this overnight in bed and the concerns that some have voiced about it.

I also think that none of the volunteers would be expecting any gratuities or favours anyway as by the nature of the word Volunteer means just that, something for nothing.
Regards,

Peter

happyheart

I'm ok with my email address being given to the owners.  If mail becomes annoying, I can always delete it or block the sender's address.  By this I mean, if we start getting overwhelmed by requests for more restorations, etc, We do have some control.  I would love to know how 'close to the mark' my restorations are!
If it's artsy or Photoshop, I'll give it a try!
aka Betty

lizO

i'd love to have the open communication, I especially would find it useful to ask people things that might make the correx more accurate. LizO

Ausimax

I can see no real problem with having contact, it would probably help a lot with restorations if there was an opportunity to gather further info about the image, and it would give the owners an input, especially where there are areas that cannot be reconstructed from the info in the image.

As for worries over email contact, why could we not register another email address for this purpose? I currently have several Yahoo email addresses, and I am sure others could acquire similar access if they are worried about being identified too personally.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

klassylady25

I'm for it!   

I did a restoration for Mr. Klatt in Metaire, LA.  He placed his email on the bottom of the picture that he submitted.  It was a document of lifetime membership in the NRA (National Rifle Association)  I couldn't make out one name AND because I could write to him I was able to finish the document with authenticity.  He called me and thank me over and over for something that he cherished. 

Sometimes contact is a good thing.  I'm for the sharing of information. 

Candice  :up2:

arkol

I'm not very keen on a back and fourth dialog. I'd like to hear feedback from folks that wish to thank us.  After hours of my best work, I don't think I'd like to hear "What did you do to grandma?!?" Some folks are still hurting or are just never satisfied. Some may be thrilled yet never respond So, post the gratitude for all to share and  try to keep  things  as positive as possible.  Carol

Dave

We will address this issue on a case by case basis. Meaning, before we send a restored print to the owner, we will ask the restoration volunteer if he/she would like their contact information included in the accompanying letter. A little more work on our end, but it seems to be the best way to handle this.

Dave
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

Ptollemy

Hi Dave,

Perhaps when we put our hand up for each photo we could also include a "contact welcome" or "No contact thank you". That way you guys wouldn't have to chase it up later.

Just a thought,

Kind regards
Ptollemy

Dave

That's a good suggestion. I'll keep that in mind when the issue comes up.

Dave
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

mcelweet

I think it'd be a nice touch. This is the organization that organized the restoration and this is the person who did much of the work.