• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

My first restoration: before and after shots

Started by shootz, November 06, 2007, 04:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shootz

Greetings everyone - I'm a newbie to OPR and have finally completed my first project.  I will let everyone see the before and after versions and any input is always welcomed. 

shootz

Power Mac G4 and Macbook Pro, CS3

Mhayes

Hi Shootz,

Welcome to the group and it's nice to see another Great Looking Cat! You have done a great job on your first restoration. Here are a few things you might consider doing. If you do an adjustment layer in Levels, pick each of the channels and pull their sliders in to where you see the information area. You may want to increase the whiteness of the man's shirt. An easy way is to go to Layer>New> Pop Up: Mode to either Overlay or Soft Light and check the box "Fill with Overlay-neutral color (50% gray) After clicking OK, pick a soft brush and to lighten use white and to darken reverse and use black to go over areas that need some tweaking. Make sure that you change the Opacity of your brush so that it looks natural. Some times when you have such a damaged background; it may be easier to take either the marquee tool or the lasso tool and select a good portion of the background. After doing that, duplicate that to a layer and then move to the damage area. You will still have to patch or clone around that, but that will save you from trying to clone around so much of a damage area. You could also do this for the girl at the back on the right hand side. She looks pretty good but her bangs and top of head look like noticeable cloning. The nice thing about making selections and moving them is that you can rotate, flip and scale them. All of these are tip and not criticism of your work.

One last thing and this is very important. Because you are new and probably have not seen previous post you are unaware of a precaution we take when posting pictures. Before you post your picture, you need to make sure no personal information is on your picture. Example: In PhotoShop, go to File>File Info. . . Once there you will notice that personal information about the owner is included. To make sure that does not come along when you post your picture to a website, here is an easy way. Check the dimension size of your photo and create a brand new file with the same dimension and resoulion. Go to your photo that you wish to post and with the move tool take the completed layer and drag to your new file. Flatten your file and save with a new name. You can now download and your picture and it will not have any person information listed. I have forgotten this at times and have gone back into PhotoBucket and deleted that file and put the corrected one in its place.

Once again, we are very happy to have you!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

shootz

Margie - thanks for the note.  And thanks for the compliment on my handsome boy!!!

I'm really new at working with photoshop for this kind of work so all the tips and help is soooo appreciated!!!  I'll try what you suggested. 

Oh and thanks for the info about not sharing any personal information on our restorations.  Didn't even occur to me that the personal info is included. 

Shootz
Power Mac G4 and Macbook Pro, CS3

G3User

Margie,

Just realized that I hadn't checked my repairs, thanks for the reminder

Athol

klassylady25

Tess (Tassie D)

Another cat? Us dogs are really getting outnumbered.  ;D  Welcome to the forum.  :up:
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Hi Shootz,

Welcome to the forum.  It's delightful to have newbies posting.  If you're new to restoring with Photoshop -- actually even for those of us who are a little seasoned -- there's a wealth of information here to help you, and many volunteers who'll jump in to give you observations and suggestions.

Two things that I noticed are:  first, I think you need some color correction to get a tad more contrast and saturation.  Second, there are a number of areas, for instance the hair of the girl in plaid as well as the pink dress that have very obvious cloning.  You might try the patch or healing tool, along with the clone tool to lessen that effect.  It took me a while to find a balance, but once you get there it works very well and you'll know which tool is appropriate for the area on which you're working.

Keep pushing ahead.  You're on the right track!  Great to have you with us.

Bless

Glenna

P.S. Love your avatar.  CATS RULE!
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

G3User

Glenna,

Now you have done it.

You might be a cat person but there is no need to flaunt it, I am sure there will be a treatment available for your condition sometime in the future.

Holly will be appearing on my messages from now on

Cheers

Athol

Ratz

Welcome to the boards Shootz,nice to see the new comers posting.
You are off to a fine start with your picture, a little fine tuning along the line of what Glenna mentioned and it'll
look great!