• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Digital Ice and Digital Gem

Started by glennab, October 31, 2007, 03:25:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennab

I'm wondering if any of you use these Photoshop plug-ins.  I've used them with our slide scanner at work (the software came with the scanner and is probably different from the plug-ins) and wasn't overly impressed, but in Ctein's book on restoration he highly recommends using the plug-ins.  I'm going to download the trial versions (they're Kodak products) and try them, but I'd be interested to know what experience anyone's had with this software.

Thanx!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Hannie

Hi Glenna,

It is so much fun to try out new plug ins, you never know, it could hold a cure for white dots!
I didn't know Digital ICE is a plug in, I only know it as a scanner device with 2 different lamps that scans the image twice.  What does the Digital ICE plug in do, remove dust and scratches?
Digital Gem I use not so often, I find the result blurs the image too much. It isn't much better than the noise and dust/scratches filters that come with Photoshop.

:hug:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

I agree with Hannie on the Gem. It does soften it too much and is not much different to the standard settings in our programs. The digital Ice one looks interesting for scanners. I find the digital roc one very good on some images, not so good on others.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Charlene5

Tassie I've had the same experience -I have the Kodak Dgital ROC as a PS plugin and it can be marvelous on some pictures and worthless others.  For the money I think ICorrect One Click is a better tool.
Photoshop CS5
Alienware M17X
Dying Brain Cells

glennab

Thanks for the feedback!  I think I'll get a trial version of each (I believe there are at least 4 plug-ins).  They're pretty pricey ($99 each), so I don't want to sink that much cash into them if I won't find them of use.  I'll have to go back to Ctein's book and re-read his comments.  The examples on the web site are quite impressive (of course!), but if the plug-ins are comparable to the scanner software with the same names, I'm not sure I'd bother.

I'm certainly open to more comments.

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)