• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

A good book for reference

Started by cmpentecost, October 18, 2007, 07:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmpentecost

A fellow volunteer recommended a book to me that would make a good reference when needing to draw/repair a body part.  It's called Drawing the Head & Figure by Jack Hamm.  It was written in 1963, but body parts haven't changed, so it's still current!  I found it today at Borders for $10.95.  It's really good for showing shadowing, different angles, differences between mens and womens facial features, etc.  I can definitely see using this as a good reference when restoring a photo with damaged faces, etc.

Christine

glennab

Christine, I think that type of reference is a superb idea.  Especially for those of us without art degrees.  I'm picking up a copy this weekend!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Hannie

Chris, that is a great tip.  I'm always Googling to find the right shadows, proportions and such for missing body parts and that isn't always an undivided success...  It would be wonderful to have such a reference book.  I'll wait and see if you and Glenna like it first (what a weenie am I)

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Good morning Hannie

I can guarantee the book will be of great value even though I haven't seen it yet, because it was recommended by one of our volunteers who was an art teacher and is an artist, and she uses it as reference for her restorations.  I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up as soon as possible.

Hugs!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Hannie

Hi Glenna!

I am going to follow your recommendation, just ordered the book on Amazon!  If it isn't to my liking I know where to get my RA!  <very devilish grin>

:hug:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]