• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Why I signed up for OPR...

Started by John, June 21, 2006, 03:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DawnAllynn

I found a link to OPR online, and couldn't help myself.  I love doing volunteer work, nothing is more satisfying than giving back to the world community where help is needed in anyway.  I've done volunteer work for as long as I can remember in some form or fashion.  I am always amazed and excited at the venues that open allowing people to help at a distance.   Another way the internet makes this large planet of ours seem so much smaller.

Recently I had my own apartment flood here in Albuquerque.  Mine wasn't through hurricane or weather, it was because the city was doing work on sewage lines and they forced huge mounts of sewage backwards into my home, and I lost almost everything.  It was fairly devastating.  Fortunately for us, we have a great deal of help and another place to call home.  I didn't lose any of my photos, and few of my keepsakes, they were not in the apartment.  What would I have done had I lost my children's photos?  Memories I could never hold or recreate?  It would crush me like nothing else I could imagine. 

I'm so glad to have found this project, and I am looking forward to doing whatever I can to contribute to the most wonderful cause.   :loveit:
Aut inveniam viam, aut faciam.  (I'll find a way, or I'll make one)

John

Quote from: DawnAllynn on August 30, 2006, 03:26:49 PM
I found a link to OPR online, and couldn't help myself.  I love doing volunteer work, nothing is more satisfying than giving back to the world community where help is needed in anyway.  I've done volunteer work for as long as I can remember in some form or fashion.  I am always amazed and excited at the venues that open allowing people to help at a distance.   Another way the internet makes this large planet of ours seem so much smaller.

Recently I had my own apartment flood here in Albuquerque.  Mine wasn't through hurricane or weather, it was because the city was doing work on sewage lines and they forced huge mounts of sewage backwards into my home, and I lost almost everything.  It was fairly devastating.  Fortunately for us, we have a great deal of help and another place to call home.  I didn't lose any of my photos, and few of my keepsakes, they were not in the apartment.  What would I have done had I lost my children's photos?  Memories I could never hold or recreate?  It would crush me like nothing else I could imagine. 

I'm so glad to have found this project, and I am looking forward to doing whatever I can to contribute to the most wonderful cause.   :loveit:

Glad to have you here.  Welcome!  :up:

davedawn

My family calls me the crazy photo lady because I'm always documenting family and events. I keep all my photo discs in one place, 'cause if my house ever catches fire, they are the first thing I'll grab (since the kids are all grown and gone). Losing my photos would break my heart, and my heart breaks for those who lost theirs. If I can help just a few families get some of their past back, how can I not?
Photos are our link to the past, our most cherished souvenirs, and our legacy for the future

John

Quote from: davedawn on September 01, 2006, 12:47:54 AM
My family calls me the crazy photo lady because I'm always documenting family and events. I keep all my photo discs in one place, 'cause if my house ever catches fire, they are the first thing I'll grab (since the kids are all grown and gone). Losing my photos would break my heart, and my heart breaks for those who lost theirs. If I can help just a few families get some of their past back, how can I not?

another good idea is to upload all of your photos to an online service like Flickr or Photobucket.  That way if anything ever gets destroyed locally you'll have an online backup. 

Ptollemy

We have a backup drive on our home network, and I back up every night after uploading photos or working on graphic files. If there was ever a fire, that's what I would grab first!

Kind regards
Ptollemy

laportelj

After hurricane Katrina I often thought about all the lost photos. I have been restoring my family photos for a few years and have gained enough experience so I thought if there was just some way to get to those photos I could fix some for someone.      I searched the web to find out if anyone else had those same thoughts , that's how I found OPR, thank you for making it possible for me to help .

glennab

Hi!

Dave mentioned back in June that this is his favorite part of the forum, and I have to say it's mine as well. I find myself coming back here often to re-read the messages.  It's good for the soul to know that there are so many big-hearted people wanting to use their talent and energy to ease a bit of the pain of the Katrina survivors.  I notice that we've acquired over 30 new members in the last few weeks, and that reinforces my belief that OPR will become a huge world-wide organization of people who have found a superb outlet for their creativity and need to do anything they can for people who've lost a precious part of their lives to disaster.

I think you're all wonderful!

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Ausimax

Hi,

Someone mentioned this thread in another post and reminded me about it, actually thought I had posted in it but I hadn't. Though reading the posts again was like a trip down memory lane, all those names that I haven't heard for months or more, you wonder are they still active and not posting or have they drifted away unnoticed. :'(

Max

Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Mhayes

Hi Max,

I was the one who mentioned it in another thread--guess I thought it might get more attention if it was posted to something more current. I went back and read all of the replies to this post, only problem is I didn't see yours. I know that you are very active member on the forum and that you are in Australia. I am curious as to how you came to hear about OPR.

It's just guessing on my part, but maybe others see the supply of pictures dwindling and think mission accomplished? Or is it a case of feeling intimidated by the challenge of some of the really hard pictures remaining?

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

I was happily immersed in helping people with webpages and images on another forum when someone started a thread about OPR.
Having done quite a few restorations for family & friends (though nothing like the damage here) I thought I could help out. I have been playing with Paintshop Pro since version 4 and decided to put it to good use.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

sanbie

Well Tess (Tassie) came into a forum I belonged to and put your link to show what she has been up to lately...so I clicked on it and the rest is history as they say!!

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1

Ausimax

Hi Margie,

I'm not altogether sure how I found OPR, I think I was doing a Google search about photo restoration, I had just finished digitising and restoring about 1000 old slides and that had kindled an interest, and I figured that working for OPR would be a good way of developing my skills and helping somebody else at the same time.

Since then I have been addicted to OPR, sometimes I'm not sure the skills have improved any, but I keep persevering.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

klassylady25

Margie,

I was visiting a site, by the name of RetouchPro, when a plea came out for anyone interested in voluteering to aid with restoration work after Hurrican Katrina.  I have family who went through that and still live in New Orleans.  My husband was raised there and so this was my way of giving back.

I started with OPR before this site was up and running and have been here ever since.  I restored about 5 more pictures than that which are in my gallery and am still going strong.  I'm a little over 50 restorations now.  Love the challenge of each new project and if this changes in the future, then I can honestly say that OPR is and will have been the best experience I've every had on the internet.  This is a family not just a 'board'.   And there you have my story! 

Candice  :loveit:

Lorraine

Hi all,

Like Candice, I came here from RetouchPRO.  I haven't been with OPR very long, but I love being part of the organization.  I'm working on my sixth restoration and get such a great feeling everytime I complete a job.  It's so satisfying to put my skills to work for such a good cause.

Lorraine

sanbie

Holy mackrel Lorraine...you are on your 6th!!! :wnw: Boy you must be fast!!

Sanbie
paintshop pro X1