• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Why I signed up for OPR...

Started by John, June 21, 2006, 03:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Hi Mike, welcome to OPR. You will never feel left out here!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

jill393

I did a couple of fixes over at another site and never even got a thank you... so I am not doing that anymore!  I don't look specifically for the thanks but it would be nice to have an acknowledgment once in a while.

This site just seems (and I know time will tell me true) to have a better vibe about it... and I like helping people.

I live in earthquake country and we all know a big one is coming.  I have most of my photos on cd's and stored in safe deposit boxes at a bank.  Just in case.  Of course with two little kids we do have a years worth floating around on a hard drive, and I still have a 13 year old wedding album to get to, but all in time.

Thanks for the site, and the opportunity to help out where we can.

Jill
Everything you know is about to change...

glennab

Hi Jill and welcome

I think it's wonderful that you have most of your history already on CDs and stashed in a safe place.  I still have all my treasures in plastic boxes, up high in a closet.  Having gone on the copy run to Biloxi, I discovered how much good that does (ZILCH)!  I live in hurricane alley (central Florida), so I need to get in gear and make sure I'm not one of the people OPR has to help after we're hit (it's inevitable).  I'm so glad you're with us, and I hope you'll join in the forum. We do have a great time, and I don't think you'll find a more interesting group of pixel pushers anywhere (actually we're everywhere – which is absolutely the best)!

Cheers!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Tess (Tassie D)

Hi Jill and everyone, welcome to the forum.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

mawgwet

I've been enjoying "playing" for awhile with PaintShopPro. I got involved with EONS.COM - Some beautiful art going on there. Anyway, I mentioned I've been doing some restoration for family and friends, and really enjoy it. A member there told me about OPR. -

So glad he did. I'm a natural at helping - my life changed at watching some of the devastation to that area of the country. I've 7 images now, I'm still learning, and hoping to learn more, but mostly I'm hoping that the ones I'm doing are as close to the originals as I can get them. Thanks for the opportunity to help.

klassylady25

Ooo another newbie.  Howdy from Oklahoma!!

JShimshak

I've been a Graphic Designer for the past 18 years.
I enjoy taking and looking at photos, especially those from "long ago."
Several years ago, I started looking through OLD photo albums from my Grandmother (she's 90 years old). These were photos of her and my Grandfather as young children, as well as my Great and Great-Great grandparents.... very interesting! Some of the photos were well worn, some faded, some ripped, so I decided to put my Photoshop skills to work and start restoring some of those photos. My Grandmother just loved seeing those old photos restored. It really put a smile on her face!

I heard about OPR after the floods in New Orleans. I knew how much my Grandmother loved seeing those old photos of hers restored and I wanted to do that for others as well... so volunteering for OPR was a no-brainer.

Why I contacted OPR to come to Winona, MN.....
In August 2007 floods hit the La Crosse, WI and Winona, MN area pretty hard.
I was watching news coverage one night and they showed a woman standing in a mud-soaked room of her house, digging through debris. She had a box of photos in her arms. Those photos were of her daughter, who had died a year earlier. She said "I lost my daughter last year. These photos were all I had left of her and now they're gone too!"
THAT'S when I knew I had to contact OPR and see if they could help out.

Jeremiah
"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese." – Steven Wright

Hannie

Welcome  Jeremiah!  I like your story, I hope the lady had some of her daughter's photo restored.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

zinger

Welcome y'all! It is nice for me not to be the newest person here any longer.

callirestoration

:up2: Thank you Jeremiah for contacting OPR, I to saw the story on TV and it touched my heart. I had heard about some photographers and designers who were helping the Katrina Victims to restore family photos but, I did not know how to contact them. I have been a member of NAPP for several years and never visited the forum, well last week I finally entered one and there I learned about OPR and I immediately went to your site and signed up.

Just a little story: I worked for a Photo Repair shop, my boss wanted to also help the Katrina victims however not for free but a reduced price. I did not feel good about that at all.  I am so glad that I have found OPR so I can help the way I want to help.

Why I like to restore photo's? An elderly gentleman on a fixed income came into the shop to have some old negatives made into pictures. I watched my boss give him a very small discount because he was a senior citizen, But when my boss gave me the negatives to do, he said I want you to restore these photos even though he only paid for them to be copied. When the photos were completed my boss started to proof the pictures with the man, this gentleman of 80 some years started to cry. These negatives were of a camping trip he had took when he was stationed over seas and the buddy he was with did not make it back home. This gentleman's  response to the restored photos bothered my boss so much that he had me finish the proofing. After the man left my boss told me that if this gentleman should come back with more photos to make sure he gets a 50% discount from now on.

Tamara

Hannie

Hi Tamara, welcome on board the OPR team!
Thanks for joining and sharing your story with us, it was great to read that the elderly gentleman was so moved when he saw the restores.  That makes it all worth it!

Hope to see more postings from you soon!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Hi Tamara

Welcome to OPR!  Your story about the elderly man brought tears to my eyes.  We've certainly come to realize how much people treasure their photos.  And we're all so lucky to be able to give them back some of what they lost.  I hope you'll become a regular on the forum.

Glenna (aka GK – Garrulous Kraken – it's a long OPR story begun by our beloved AussiMax, and I've had a lot of fun with it!  So has he, the rascal!)
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Tess (Tassie D)

Hi Tamara, glad you joined us. A beautiful story that helps remind us why we're all here.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Hi Tamara,

Welcome to OPR and hope you will continue to be a part of the Forum. Your story touched upon why so many of us are passionate about helping restore photos. Some day I hope you have the opportunity to be on one of our copy runs and experience again the wonderful feeling of knowing that you can bring back someones memories. We're glad you joined!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

recycledhippy

Hi

My joining OPR was brought about by total boredom
For 30 yrs I have had Multiple Sclerosis - over the years it progressed and now I spend most of my time at home
About 9 months ago I started playing with 'Photoshop' and found it helped pass the day, and I enjoyed it.
My problem was finding any work to do at all - I found a British site that restored photos which encouraged to look further
Hence I found OPR
Photo's here are more taxing and therefore help progress my very limited photoshop self taught skills
Tutorials and the helpfull members being a great 'life line' in times of need

Good to be with you

Les (UK)