• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Why I signed up for OPR...

Started by John, June 21, 2006, 03:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tofu

I came to OPR from a link posted at http://www.photoshopcontest.com and loved the idea from the start. But I'm with capriccio.  I don't have the funds to spare and I can't make it to the disaster site to physically help.

But I've got software and some skill in using it.  I figure if I can't give money or physical labor then I can certainly help with the restorartions.

Where I live there is a danger of tornadoes as well as damage from burst pipes in the winters.  So I really like the idea of OPR chapters!
Some people say I have ADD but they just don'... HEY LOOK A CHICKEN!

Dave

This topic has quickly become my favorite of the whole forum. After dealing with countless emails (some not so nice), it rejuvenates my soul to read why you all joined OPR. Thank you for your help and for your reasons for joining. 

Dave Ellis
Co-President

Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

ParkerF1

Quote from: OPRDave on June 22, 2006, 04:16:01 PM
This topic has quickly become my favorite of the whole forum. After dealing with countless emails (some not so nice), it rejuvenates my soul to read why you all joined OPR. Thank you for your help and for your reasons for joining. 

Dave Ellis
Co-President

No so nice? why? Share them if you can... you need the support and it's bs for that kind of behavior. Keep up the good work Dave.
Rob
ef17-40f/4L, 50f1.4, ef135f/2L
SpeedBrigade*FredMiranda*PSTechniques*pbase/rjs
retouchPro*w1k*Lambo-Power*NSX Prime*Fchat

CarpenterGraphic

Like others have said, I too have come here from a photoshop contest site, (worth1000.com) and as fun as it is, there is much more reward in this. I greatly admire those who have taken the time to organize a site like this, and and am proud to participate.

Harry122

Skid

I just read a thread on Worth1000.com about this project, and it sounds like a great idea.  Summer's just started, and this is a much better way to spend my time than playing video games and sleeping for two months.  :)

danger_Mouse

Huh, what's this Karma thing?  :P

Well, like some of the others, I came here through Worth1000. Being on the other side of the world, it's pretty difficult for me to offer any physical help, and I'm not in the position to really help out monetarily, so I jumped at the chance to sign up here, where I can give my time and skill instead.

Dave

Hello everyone,

I signed up because coming from England I think we are quite lucky when it comes to avoiding natural disasters, but seeing what has happened over there in the past few years I finally have a chance to give some support and do something to help.

Photos are things that cant be replaced and its sad to see so many damaged baby and wedding photos. I jumped to the chance to help when I found out about OPR from RetouchPro. I have got my first few pictures now and I cant wait to make them look good as new again for their owners.

Dave

glennab

Hi Volunteers

I became involved in this incredible endeavor because of an item in the on-line newsletter of the National Association of Photoshop Professionals.

Living in west central Florida, I recall sitting in the dark two years ago waiting for Charley to hit us and thinking that if my photos were lost I'd be devastated. Our guardian angel was watching over us that day, but people south of us were blasted.  I mourn every time nature reminds us of her power by destroying people's lives.

I've always wanted to help those who've been hit by a hurricane, because I could be in that situation at some point. Being a working stiff and caring for 12 rescued cats allows me little opportunity to physically get to a site and be of service.

I'm a graphic designer and have had considerable experience in manipulating and restoring photos.  This is an awesome means by which to support people who have been victimized by one of our constantly-threatening weather beasts.

I think everyone who's volunteered is an angel!  I'm happy to be part of this community and I especially send kudos to Dave, Becky and the rest of the crew who have expended considerable energy and spirit in initiating a project that I think has no limits.

My very best to all of you.

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

beckysell

Hi all,
I second Dave... this thread is definitely a good moral boost, and gives us hope that OPR has a real future ahead to continue helping more people thanks to you. 

Risici

Practice.. I hope i dont step on any toes. I truly respect and feel for those which memories we are trying to save. But since i cant meet them in person this projeckt for me is more about practice my restoration skills in photoshop, than a personal contact.
When that is said i always keep the end usage of the picture in mind when working on it, trying to be true to a vision or a real person. Hope that made sence :)
Anyway this is a great projeckt and ill give the photoshop guys and girls over at napp a heads up about this.

/Lasse -Risici

mayfae

-because capriccio made a thread.  ;D

-and what harry said ;)

SoleAngelus

I came to find out about OPR by chance when reaserching another project and found myself compelled to sign up and offer my services, i just love the idea of being able to help people in this way, and being able to help restore, what is a physical representation of peoples lives and memorys.

happyheart

I've been doing 'artsy' things for as long as I can remember.  About 5 years ago, I discovered Photoshop, and then a couple of years ago I attended my first Photoshop World.  I was off and running after that.  The program is incredible.  I love being able to repair something damaged to brand new condition.

I was watching a TV special where Oprah was releasing ownership of 15 brand new homes to victims of Hurrican Katrina who had lost their homes.  They had all banded together to help build the 15 homes.  She stated during the show that insurance could replace their homes, but the one thing that couldn't be replaced/repaired was their photos.  They were lost forever.

I remember thinking "That's not true!  I could restore some of those photos, but how would I get them?  Soon after that I received my NAPP e-letter and it had a link to OPR in it.  I clicked on the link, registered, and here I am.

I love being able to help restore photos and memories and hopefully bring a smile to someone's face.  I learn new things with each photo I restore. 
If it's artsy or Photoshop, I'll give it a try!
aka Betty

JoanTraveller

I felt it was time for me to give something back.  Photographs are so very meaningful to the individual, and when everything is gone, including these precious possessions, it's a huge blow.  I would simply like to help.  What goes around, comes around, and I'm happy to help where I can, knowing that if it was me, someone would, in turn, be there to lend a hand.