• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Greetings from New Jersey (Aberdeen, not Asbury Park!)

Started by VickiD, November 25, 2012, 03:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VickiD

Hi, to all the photo restorers out there. I'm new to OPR and am thrilled to be able to help with this worthwhile project.

I've pondered this move for a couple of years and finally feel I'm ready. Being in the area recently affected by Hurricane Sandy has made this hit close to home and I'm finally ready to make this commitment. I'm a Photoshop "junkie" and have been using PS since version 7 (about 10 years ago--I now use PSCS6). My skills have been honed through many training sessions and seminars and conferences. I now teach those skills to others and love sharing what I know--it's fun to watch that light bulb go on over someone's head! Fun as all that is, I receive the most satisfaction from restoring and retouching images that might otherwise be lost. Seeing the looks on the faces of the owners has been a thrill I wouldn't miss. I know that part of the equation will be missing here, but still love the idea of helping others.

Thank you for affording me this opportunity. I'm thankful to be able to help.

VickiD
Vicki DeVico

Mhayes

Hi Vickid and welcome to OPR from Kansas!

How interesting that you start Photoshop with version 7 as that is how I started too and picked up training in a variety of ways. I found OPR by the link that Katrin Eismann had on her website with exercises to work from her book: Photoshop Restoration & Retouching.

Seeing that you are in New Jersey, you may have the opportunity to help with a copy run there. Right now the planning is for New York, but we do want to help your state as well. Most likely it would be later in the spring.

Hope to see you on the Forum again.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

VickiD

Margie,

Thanks for the welcome. I think Katrin is an awesome instructor and have learned a lot from her and many others--both NAPP instructors and Lynda.com instructors, among others. Have you ever heard of Janine Smith? She's another great restoration expert.

I did see something on Facebook about the scanning project in NY State...and commented that I'd like to help when they get to NJ. I hope it's well publicized when that happens. I do live near the shore and want to help with the scanning.

I'm looking forward to getting started here. :)

Vicki
Vicki DeVico

Mhayes

Yes Vicki, I know Janine Smith and she has offered to help in any way with the Hurricane Sandy effort. Janine started out with OPR and she does fantastic work.

This is still in the planning stages and will have more later, but Katrin Eismann and her students will be involved with OPR on a copy run soon. More details as they are worked out. Also involved with be a well know studio that I will release the names later. We also have other volunteers in others areas that are organizing to help.

One note and that is we do not scan. All of our photos are taken by cameras on a copy stand or on a tripod. Photos coming in are dirty and some with either glass or plastic album still attached. Also, scanning is not as fast as by digital camera and we like the quality better the way we do it.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Welcome to the forum Vicki!
Good luck on your first OPR restore.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

VickiD

Thank you, Hannie...I'm almost ready to upload it (as soon as I figure out that process)...and look forward to feedback.

Vicki
Vicki DeVico