• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Texas Wildfires

Started by muthabord, September 08, 2011, 12:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muthabord

Hello All.

I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this question, but I am wondering if there are plans to help with any damage caused by the fires here in TX. Obviously in the event that a house burns down, there's not going to be much to repair, but for those with water/smoke or partial fire damage, possibly.

Anyway, I am about 10 miles from Magnolia, where there have been some pretty substantial fires and only a couple of hours away from the Austin/Bastrop area and I would like to offer my services in the event that OPR has plans to go to or help in those locations. 

Have scanners... will travel. :) Thanks,
Matt
scanmyoldphotos.com

Pat

Hi Matt,

Yes you have posted your question in exactly the right place.

As Margie indicated the other day it is very frustrating to see so many disasters and realize that we while we will help the best we can it will be hard to get to everyone.  In some instances the only way we will be able to help is if volunteers like yourself can do a mini copy run for your area.  It can be a very rewarding experience; one that you will long remember and never regret.  It's best to wait at least 3 to 6 months after the disaster. If you go in too soon, people won't have had time to get the area cleaned up and it will be too difficult for you to get the word out. 

My husband Mike and I did a mini copy run a couple of weeks ago to Stark County Ohio for about 200 photos that were damaged in a flood down there.  We have found that it is best to use a copy stand and camera rather than a scanner to copy the damaged photos.  All the dirt and debris on the photos can damage the scanner glass.  Also at 100% the copy stand photo has better detail.  When the scanner is set to do a dust and scratches correction we are unable to use the photo for restoring.

If you are interested in doing a mini copy run at some point you will need much more information than I given you here but I hope I answered a few of your questions.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Mhayes

Hi Matt,

I hope there are photos to recover from the wildfires, but I really wouldn't hold much hope from what I'm seeing on TV. The fires pretty much destroyed everything in its path. If there is a need and you can get the right equipment, ether yours or a photographer, you might consider it. Fires are really the hardest to salvage photos from. Since OPR inception, we have probably done on a couple families photos that were the result of a house fire.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

muthabord

Thanks for the replies. I don't think it will be a lot. But figured I would offer anyway.
Matt
scanmyoldphotos.com