• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

She's done it again!

Started by glennab, October 27, 2009, 09:07:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannie

Glenna I can tell you are having a great time with the reconstruction of the boy's ear!  I wonder if you could add a little more shading like in the example below.  ("your" ear is  on left and the "PSD" version on the right)

The tubes look great, maybe some shading there too?

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

schen

GK, Great progress on this very difficult one.  Here are my interpretations of the fingers and the ear.  You might want to get one of your grandchild to model the fingers for you.

Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

glennab

Thanks, Max, Hannie & Shujen

Your feedback is, as usual, invaluable.  I'll re-shade his ear.  What I'd done was find a handful or so of ears, and none of them had shapes and shading that looked like my vision of what was in the original that Hannie pulled up.  I thought maybe I was missing something, so I tried to "merge" the "real" ears and come up with something that might be a bit more realistic.  Evidently his ear is just not comparable to my templates. The more of these restorations I do, the more I realize how very different we all are in so many ways.

Shujen, I'm sure you're right about the placement of his fingers, but what concerns me is that no matter what I do to create that look, it won't be HIS fingers.  Each person's hand is so unique that I didn't want to make it obvious that they were "contrived."  With just the tips of the fingers showing, which I thought feasible because he's not actually hanging on the bar, at least the fingers could be "generic" without detracting from the fact that they're not his.  Does that follow, or am I being too perfectionist?

What I'm baffled by is how you got the detail out of the photo.  Both you and Hannie were able to conjure up more ear and face on the right than I could, and I'm usually able to pull out more than I did on this image.  You have a secret that I've not discovered yet.

I'm going to revisit the ear, give the bar more shade, and then see if anyone else has any further comments.  Shujen, you're making my brain ache trying to figure out the best way to deal with his hands.  Your suggestion is well taken.  Just not sure I can pull it off.

Thanks so much for the assessment.  You all see things that elude me.  Couldn't do it without you.

Hugs!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Mhayes

Hi GK,

Your little boy is really coming together nicely. The only thing that I notice is the boy's mouth. In the original you see teeth and lips, with just a small showing of teeth on your left. It looks like he may be biting his lower lip. Right now with your having his mouth partially open and part of his lower teeth showing on your left; it looks like he is missing the rest of his teeth on the bottom. Great job on the shirt.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

glennab

Thanks, Margie.  His mouth has just about been the end of me.  It's impossible to get detail at the right, where the really important shape information resides.  I won't tell you how many times I've reworked it.  I'm not sure that he's biting his lower lip, but I think he has a cute, crooked smile with that side of his lip against and curving a little over his teeth, and that's what's throwing me off.  I'm going to take a day off and then go back with all the great responses I've gotten and try to fine-tune.

I knew he was going to be tough, but that's what I love.  I'm such a sick person!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Hannie

Hi Glenna,

Maybe this will help you to add the final touch to the little boy's mouth.  By the looks of it all you have to do is change the shape of his teeth some and extend the gums down between his teeth.

Hope this helps,  hope you are enjoying your Sunday!

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Hannie, you're a love.  That'll help me nail it.  I should have him finished in a day or two.  Thanks so much for all your help.

Hugs!

GK

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

schen

GK, about the fingers, they were on the sunny side.  You may want to copy the tone and color from his bicep.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

glennab

Burnout has set in!  I can't see anything else that needs to be done, but would appreciate fresh eyes. Thanks again everyone for the great feedback.  It all helped me get this far. (Shujen, I appreciate your noting the fingers being too dark.  That went way under my radar!).

Cheers,

GK

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Tess (Tassie D)

You've done a beautiful job Glenna. :up: The only thing I noticed is his ear seems larger than the original? Tried to show you what I mean lol.

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

You're spot on, Tess.  The ear needs to be smaller and his mouth still needs to be a bit wider.  Hopefully I'll be able to get that done and return him this evening.  Thanks!

Hugs

GK

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

glennab

Since you've all had to put up with my agonizing over this beautiful little boy, I thought I'd show you what I returned last night.  This was the most interesting challenge to date, and that's saying a lot, since my "schtick" is the hardest ones I can find.  Looking forward to feedback from QC.

Have a lovely day!

GK

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Atlantis

OMG Glenna did it again!  :wnw: :up2:
The only way to get better is to figure out what I did wrong.