• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Stuck in the Muck

Started by mschonher, June 19, 2008, 07:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mschonher

I can't finish any detail work until I figure out the bottom portion of this photo.  I need input on where the blouse and sleeves might end and also if I should transplant the good side of the cord to the other side where it's almost gone. Sometimes it looks like this dress has an empire waistline but I'm not sure that style was used in the 20's.  Any suggestions would be helpful.  I'm hoping someone out there can come up with a great idea like the clouds on Curtis' photo.  Thanks so much.

Mary

Pelican

I'm sorry that I don't really have a answer to the dress design, but something like this might work for the bottom of the image. I just took the top and flipped it.

(edit) Sorry about the dull colors. I forgot to switch to sRGB.

mschonher

Hi Curtis,

funny you should do that, I did it yesterday but was wondering if it would look alright. That might be the only solution.  Or maybe green clouds????  Don't be sorry about the dull colors, they look great too.  I really appreciate your taking the time for me, I'm sure you have at least one or two of your own that you're working on.

Mary

Ausimax

Hi Mary,

To me this photo looks like it may have originally been a, dare I say the word? Vignette, all the lower area seems to blend to shadow, it may even have been designed for an oval frame - they were very popular in time past.

Regarding the cord I can't see that you can do anything but copy from the good side, though to me the cord on the right side (hers) appears to have a different texture and colour, though that could be as a result of damage, aside from that it looks like another of your remarkable restorations, only wish I had your skill with faces and hair. (John, we need a smiley for Envy!!!)

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

klassylady25

Mary,

Have you ever considered that one cord has a tassle?  That would explain the difference in the cording size.  At least that's what these two eyes see.

Candy

mschonher

Thanks for the all the helpful suggestions and the kind words.  I haven't thought about a tassel at all but I don't relish the idea of painting one on this photo.  Max, this was definitely in an oval frame but I wasn't sure if that was intended from the photographer so I replaced the edges so that the owner can make their own decision on the frame.   I'm pretty sure the left side cord looks the way it does from damage.  That area of the photo was a real mess.  I've thought about making the bottom blend into a darker color and I tried it but either I didn't do it right or it just doesn't look good.  It made the photo look bottom heavy to my eye.  I'm not sure what I'm gonna do but whatever it is you'll see it in the gallery.  Thanks all.

Mary

cmpentecost

I like what Curtis did on the photo.  It's kind of like what Curtis did with the clouds on the little angel.  It's a soft way to blend a photo while removing the damage, and keeping the focus on the girl's face.  The biggest problem we had with vignetting in the past was a stark and very hard set vignette, with contrasting colors.  Anyway, this is my 2 cents worth!

Christine

Mhayes

Chris, I agree this is the best solution. She looks beautiful! :up:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

mschonher

Thanks Margie and Chris,  I'm going forward with flipping the top to the bottom.  I played around with some other ideas and it seems like the popular decision is the best way to go and I'm in 100% agreement.

Mary   :hug:

Mhayes

Does that mean she will be upside down!  :funny:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

klassylady25

Only if she's an Aussie!  lol

Really Mary, I think she's great!  This is really your venue!  I love your work.

Candice