• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

New one

Started by Jonas.Wendorf, January 05, 2011, 01:22:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonas.Wendorf

Hi everybody :-)!

I just finished my last restore and wanted to share with you ☺.

First of all here are the before and after images:

Before:
After:

I started with a color correction using levels on "Color" mode by setting the black and white points for the individual channels.
After that I used another levels adj. on "Luminosity" mode for the luminosity fixes. I find that this way is more controllable and gives me better results most of the time.

Next I did some repair work with the healing brush as well as the clone stamp tool (and I'm still not sure whether to remove all of the dark spots on the right, some or none).

After that I started to do some dodge & burn to get rid of the luminosity differences and remove some light/dark spots (I prefer dodging and burning over healing because this way I can keep the original texture).

Now I picked the brush tool and painted color on a new layer that I set to "Color" mode to get rid of the remaining discoloration.

As said, I'm still not sure about the spots, so if you have any suggestions or if you see anything else that needs to be worked on, I'm looking forward to your comments :-)!
Best regards,
Jonas

kevinashworth

Jonas to the bottom left there's a brown gear with a crank-handle attached to it. Across the gear theres a horizontal smear which, looking at the original looks like a wrinkle.

Hannie

Hi Jonas,

I agree with you that those dark spots on the right (portrait) are probably damage and can be removed. There are similar spots on the letter (left) and on the left side of the clock.

After you have done levels in R,G and B you say you do levels in luminosity mode.  What does that mean?  Do you play with the gamma slider or change the white and black point settings?

Great job,

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

kiska

Hannie, there is generally a color shift when you do curves and levels. In Normal mode, curves tends to go red. Each channel was adjusted.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Jonas.Wendorf

Kevin, nice find, I corrected this area immediately :-).

Hannie, great ☺ they're removed now.
Kiska is right, I just used two different adj. layers, once in "Color" and once in "Luminosity" mode.
In the first one I used the regular each-channel-correction, in the second one I used the black and white points.
This way when I do my color correction, I don't affect the luminosity too much and when I do the luminosity, the color won't change.
Very useful mode, once you get the hang of it :-)!

So here's the updated version:
Best regards,
Jonas

Pat

Hi Jonas,

I like your idea of the two different adjustment layers one color mode and one in luminosity mode and definitely plan to give it a try! 

It looks to me like maybe in the upper right corner although you took care of the wrinkle in the boarder you still have it going through the flag and above the man's head?

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Jonas.Wendorf

Hi Pat,

you're right, I missed this spot!
The more answers I get, the more I think that I posted this image too early ;-).

Update:
Best regards,
Jonas

Jonas.Wendorf

Anything else or should I upload :-)?
Best regards,
Jonas

Pat

Looks really great Jonas!

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Jonas.Wendorf

☺ thanks!
That means "upload" to me ;).
Best regards,
Jonas