• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Has Anyone Read . . .

Started by Mhayes, March 03, 2008, 10:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Has anyone read the book The Great Deluge (Hurricane Katrina, New Orleans, and the Mississippi Gulf Coast) by Douglas Brinkley published in 2006? I happened to see this book at our local library and decided to check it out. This is a pretty hefty book of over 700+ pages, but once you start reading, it wouldn't matter if it was over a 1,000 pages. This book is so gripping that I found myself up reading to 2:00 am this morning.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Ratz

Thanks for the heads-up, margie. Will keep an eye out for it, i love a good read!

glennab

Margie, thanks for the recommendation.  The book probably ties in very well with our task at OPR.  Being a book junkie, I'll probably nab it in the next few weeks.  I can read it at the same time I'm re-reading the Dune series and my latest books on color and restoring.  Stinkin' job takes up so much time that I have a huge stack of reading material on which to catch up.  My newspaper pile is about a foot and a half high.  But I might put it all aside long enough to read The Great Deluge.  I'm intrigued!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

hoodman3

Margie, I've read it and I especially liked the way he focused on several different people/points of view. I also like the way he gets down on all of the agencies that shoulda, coulda, woulda.
I'm a big fan of almost all the literature that comes out of New Orleans, but I'd never heard of him and he's written several other historical books that were well received.
Another great read is "Rising Tide" by John Barry. It's about the 1920's flood, but it hints at the problems that still exist today.
Pete
Windows XP, CS3