• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Olsen

Started by Candice, December 08, 2008, 04:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Candice

There was so much missing in this picture.  The reference picture was a great help. 
I thought I'd post and see what suggestions you all might have.  I believe that pup is sitting what appears to be a yard or it could be a photographer setting, but I'll let you decide.   Betty
Candice

Hannie

Hi Betty,

thanks for posting your work here on the forum, you sure have picked a doozy to work on!
You cleaned it up really well but I am wondering if it is possible that you could use some of the original photo detail into your restore?
Especially the face of the dog is probably very important to the owner.

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Candice

Here is the second work-up.
Candice

Mhayes

Hi Betty, I like your 2nd one the best! I really think this was shot in a studio, since the reference photo with the dog and girl were. This one does have have more texture in the rug or whatever the dog is lying compared with the other photo. The 2nd photo is also better in that the grass is extended further up, which looks more natural. Great job with little to go on!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

This is the very beginning of my restoration.  I can see the rocks and grass, however I agree that it may be in a studio. Would you prefer it be black as in the example?
Candice

glennab

Hi Betty

One thing that struck me about the photo is that it appears this beautiful dog is wearing a "vest," as if it were either a police or a rescue dog.  If you look at the area near his/her hind leg, there's definitely a straight line that appears to delineate a dark area that's something other than fur.  And there's similar separation by the neck.  I think the white vertical line is on the vest and not part of the animal's fur.

I know this isn't any one else's perception (not unusual for me), but I downloaded the original and played a bit, and I think the shot is outdoors, because of the grass that covers a good portion of the hind leg, as well as appearing to make an uneven line against what looks like a plaster wall behind the pup with an opening to the very far left.  It seems to me that a studio shot would be much more even and contrived-looking.

This is a really tough one with so much missing.  You deserve a lot of credit for taking it on.  The face looks much better in your second rendition.

For what it's worth... the GK's observations.  Good luck!
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Candice

Reference Photo

Another take on it. 

Glenna, thank you.  It could very well be a wall but with very little to go on I'm hesitant to proceed until there is more information shared.  I have posted the reference photo that Margie sent. 

I'll go and eat dinner and when I come back I know you all will have it figured out!   :)

Betty
Candice

Mhayes

Hi Betty, that is really hard now to tell about the background. I like the black, but the gray looked nice also. I really do not think this is a rescue dog when you have a chance to view the reference photo. The white on the dog's neck coming down, could probably use a little more feathered out to show the hair like in the reference photo. This would help break up the sharp line. I think where Glenna is seeing what looks like a vest is where the black background migrated into the Sheltie's fur.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

I can feather it out.  Also, is the face where it needs to be?  I believe Hannie pointed out the importance of that and in my days work I tried to bring out those features.  I like challenges.  Don't you?
Candice

lurch

I agree with GK that the dog's wearing a vest of some sort. There's a sharp edge at the back as well as in the white stripe. And you're a braver person than I for taking this one on.
<C>
<C>

Candice

If a vest is being worn perhaps Margie can contact the owner for verification.

Candice

Mhayes

Hi Betty, you beat me to it as I had just typed out that I would contact the owner tomorrow. Then like a dummy, I hit one of the recent post links and lost my comment.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

The dog in the reference photo with the girl doesn't look like it is the same dog...

(just to add to the confusion  >:D)

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Candice

Thanks Hannie. That was appreciated for clarification!!!  NOT   ;)
I think I'll have another cup of coffee and then Christmas shop!
Candice

Mhayes

Hannie, what a brillant maneuver; I would never have thought of it!  :funny:

The bad news is that I still don't have an answer after placing two phone calls. The first number I left a message on their machine and will call again this evening; the 2nd number is no longer good.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]