• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Big brown eyes

Started by Shelley, August 08, 2010, 10:07:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelley

Hello,

Here's where I'm up to with my first restore:

Original

Work in progress

I still have work to do on the skirt of the dress and on the sleeves, plus a fair bit of general tidying up around the edges of hands, skirts etc.

I wasn't sure what the object in the lower left of the picture was. My best guess is a strap for the basket. This also affects theories on how the buckle should look. Any better ideas? I've made the straps brown, but they could well be black.

As the frame has not been fully photographed, can I assume that they don't want that restored and just put it on a white background?

The part I'm finding most difficult is the lower part of the dress. Any hints, tips or tutorial locations for making folds and shadows look convincing would be appreciated! The pattern for the most damaged parts of the dress is on a separate layer.

I'm sure I had more questions than that. I'll post them when I think of them.

Any other comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

(First attempt at posting pics to the forum....)

Shelley

Shelley

Flickr seems to have changed how they do things and no longer provide a link that will work on message boards.  :(

Flickr help says:

QuoteThe direct link to a photo file is no longer shown on the page. Per the Flickr Community Guidelines  "pages on other websites that display content hosted on flickr.com must provide a link from each photo or video back to its page on Flickr." Linking directly to the photo file doesn't do this.

"We understand that many people were using that link on message boards to show their images and we are working on a solution that will allow you to post using BBCode (standard message board code) that links back.

I've run out of time tonight - I'll try some other way to get the pics up tomorrow.

Shelley

Mhayes

Shelley,

Try signing up with photobucket as it is easy to post a link of your photos from there.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Shelley

Trying again

Original

Work in progress

Johnboy

Shelley,

I think you have done a great job on this one so far.

It looks like the skirt of the jumper comes down to the red frame. I base the comment on that I think I am seeing some of the colored pattern in the jumper just above the red frame. As for the shadow, perhaps just burning in or painting with black and grey will give you what you want. I would suggest doing that on a separate layer so if something doesn't look right it will be an easier do over.

I think there needs to be some green added around her elbow next to the frame. I know there is a lot of damage in that area but as it is now her elbow looks misshapen. Also in that area you may need to darken the shadow near her armpit. It looks gray so it either needs darkening or some green from the background. My personal vote is to darken it for a shadow.

At the viewer lower right there are a couple dark blue patches in the background. I think that might be damage as it doesn't appear any where else.

You might try the Patch tool on the red frame as it looks mottled at the top and there are some dark spots in the dark areas that could be damage. I also wonder if the dark areas on the red frame are damage. On the red frame the light is coming from the viewer left, because at the bottom there is something sticking out from the frame that is causing a shadow. That shadow is to the viewer right of the object so to me that puts the light to the left. So that makes me wonder why there would be shadow on that side of the frame.

Shelley, you are doing a great job on this one. I am not sure how you pulled the basket out of the damage, but it looks great to me. Someone else may find other things to correct. Good luck finishing.

Johnboy