• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Almost, but....

Started by hoodman3, June 13, 2008, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoodman3

This is my latest, and for me, my most difficult restoration. All eyes and comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Pete
Windows XP, CS3

glennab

Pete, I thought all the "scratch monsters" were gone.  Looks as if you got one of the absolute worst.  The only pick I have is the girl's face on our left.  It looks painted, especially compared to the other two youngsters.  I can tell you that I had one of these stinkers, and I had to re-do two of the faces 3 or 4 times before I got enough information from between the gunk that I felt I had a remote resemblance.  Everything else is fantastic, and that may be the reason her face seems so prominently less realistic.

Cheers,

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

cmpentecost

Hi Pete,

I am thoroughly impressed with the restoration job you have done!  I agree with Glenna that the girl on our left looks a bit "painted", yet I go back and forth, back and forth, and...everything looks so accurate.  Maybe "our left, her right" ear needs a bit more ear.  Could it be her hair looks too blonde and her forehead to bright?  I don't know...it's hard to describe, because you obviously spent a tremendous amount of time on this photo, and just did an amazing job.  And, by the way, you did a fantastic "wallpaper hanging" job on this photo!  You obviously have a tremendous amount of patience!

Christine

Hannie

Hi Pete,

You did a fabulous job, nice colors, great hair!
I'm with Glenna on the girl on the left, a little shadow in her face will lessen that effect.

How was the concert?

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Ratz

A great job Pete :up: the colours are amazing.
I agree with Hannie that it's all in the shadowing a bit of contour to the face and she'll look like real person again.

Mhayes

Hi Pete,

Can't add anything to what's been said, except to say you did a great job! The scratches would have been bad enough, but to have a pattern in the wallpaper must have been real punishment. I like what Hannie has done with the shading around her eyes and nose as it makes her look more natural.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Ausimax

A great job Pete, the paper-hanging must have been a trial, I agree with the shading of the face. :up2:

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

hoodman3

Thanks guys,

I will work more on her hair, face, and to my eye her chest needs a bit of definition. Glad you liked the wall paper. Don't look too close!
Lighting has always challenged me. Where are the buttons on his shirt?
Another issue is the "piece of ribbon" at her back. Is it distracting?
Hannie I like what you did with her hair. My wife has blonde hair and we went so far as to put a photo of her on a low opacity layer above as a guide.
The Raising Sand concert was great! T Bone and his band rarely left the stage for the entire 2+ hrs. Allison and Robert are two entirely different ducks, but together they're magic! Allison's voice is almost surreal.

Thanks again,

Pete
Windows XP, CS3

Hannie

Pete, glad to hear you enjoyed the concert!  I hope they will do some more stuff together but it is likely that the band members have other commitments and Alison is probably anxious to get back together with her own band.

On topic:  I think the little ribbon on her back is actually part of her dress.  It looks to me as if the dress is a little to big for her and is bunched up art the back?  Anyway, it is a little distracting to the picture but so is some of the background clutter so I'm not sure if it needs to be removed?

The buttons on the gent's shirt are not visible at all, I tried enlarging the area and multiply  but there is no detail left in the original.

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

mschonher

Hi Pete,

You have done an incredible job on this photo, the clothing is amazing too.  I like what Hannie did too. 

I felt the contour of the face on the girl on our left was off.  I made the cheek less prominent, brought out the forehead a little and took just a bit off the chin.  I contoured the face by giving her some strong highlights and some shadows like the other 2 people in the photo and then added some noise which I blurred a bit.  I also felt the inside corner of the eye on our right was completely lost so I added it back ever so slightly.  To my eye she looks a little more balanced.

Mary

Tess (Tassie D)

A great job Pete. Don't you just love those scratches. :( Its amazing how we all come up with different faces. I did a very quick smudge on her face in the original, would have to spend a lot more time tidying it up though.

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Hannie

Spot on Tess, that is the girl that is looking at us in the original!

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]