• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

New Photo Help2

Started by hoodman3, September 13, 2007, 08:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoodman3

The view of his left ear is strange through his glasses. Would lenses cause that much of a strange distortion?

Any input is appreciated.
Thanks,
Pete
Windows XP, CS3

Ausimax

Hi Pete,

Got yourself a strange one there! I can see no sign of the ear through the glasses in the original or of damage that would account for it not being visible.

I would put out a call to see if there are other photos in this family group that may show him, can you afford to change it? He may only have the top part of that ear, sorry thats the best advice I can offer.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Tess (Tassie D)

That is weird. I know very strong glasses can distort things but make it disappear? May be something to do with the curve of the lense cause there's definitely no damage there.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Johnboy

Hoodman,

I would guess that the glasses have a concave lens for far sightedness (I think. I always get them mixed up even though my glasses are concave lenses.) Light coming into a concave lens will bend away from the lens axis when the light passes through the thicker part of the lens. Assuming that you have the concave portion facing toward you. In this case we are viewing through the lens with the concave portion facing away. Therefore the light is being picked up from the side and being bent back toward the lens axis.  Therefore I think it is picking up some of the background as we see in the photo. Plus the lens is quit large which would allow it to extend beyond the cheek. I notice a tiny piece of ear right next to the hinge for the earlug. My recommendation would be to leave it as it is.

My glasses have concave lenses so I ran to a mirror and tried to simulate the photo. I could simulate something that looked like what we see in the photo.

Technical things and white spots can drive you crazy.  :D

Johnboy

OPRAng

Dave can totally attest to how funny I look in my glasses because there is such a huge amount of distortion. He won't kiss me unless I take them off...Fortunately, I wear contacts and there hasn't been a photo of me in glasses since the 6th grade. But yeah, my head completely disappears at the point of where the lense of my glasses are--and since those are some pretty big frames, I am not surprised a whole ear got chopped in half.

Weird though, huh...

Angela Ellis
Treasurer
Operation Photo Rescue, Inc.
[email protected]
[email protected]

hoodman3

Leaving as is. Uploading now.
Thanks for the input,
Pete
Windows XP, CS3

hoodman3

I'm hoping that the spot on his chin is natural and not damage. Any comments.
Thanks,
Pete
Windows XP, CS3

Tess (Tassie D)

It does look a bit like a freckle/mole? Not sure though.

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

phischer

I think it may be damage. It looks pretty similar to the spot to the left that is below the corner of his mouth.  It is also in line with the "spray" of damage that is in the area.  That's my two cents.  Also I think your cleaned up version has a bit too much yellow in it yet.  If you adjust the levels of the R,G, and B channels individually, you will get better results than just doing a basic level adjust.

beckysell

I agree... the spot on the chin looks like it's probably a spot. 
Nice work on this restoration!  When it comes to the color adjustments, just do the best you can to get it looking good.  Sometimes leaving a little of the original information in there helps when we do final color correction to send it to print, but the color correction I've seen has been done really well so far.

cmpentecost

Hi Pete,

Your photo looks really nice!  That's really weird about the ear.

christine

jneil2

So, what do you think?  Get rid of the ear part, leave it as is, or build him more ear?  Silly question, but interesting nonetheles.....

Jan

rockthumper

If you compare the cheekline behind the glasses with that below there is a lot of distortion. I think you can just see part of the ear in the glasses and if you un-distorted it everything would match up. It does look weird but I think it's correct the way it is.

schen

Though the missing ear through the lens looks strange, I believe it is correct from the optical effect.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

klassylady25

Let's make it easyier for you - do one with the ear and one without the ear.  Give the powers that be the choice.