• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Wedding Day Review

Started by Candice, February 17, 2009, 01:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Candice

Perhaps you will recall this one.  I started this to bring it back into view and to share with you where I am in the process. 

In review, it was suggested that a crop be made to omit the one that there were no details left by using the same dimensions.  I took that suggestion and started out once more trying to pull something out of the quicksand. 

You're welcome to review the past work that was done under (Wedding Day).  Folks, I cannot tell you how many times I've started this one over but I can tell you I have way less hair!! However, I do think that I'm in good company in that understanding. 

Below is the original and the restore to date.  Looking for your eyes at this point.

Thank you, Bets  :hug:

Candice

Mhayes

Bets, you are so brave, how could we forget this one?  This is a big improvement over the last one.  The biggest problem I see is trying to complete the photo on how you think it should look, when there is no information to support it. A few things that bother me is the hand holding. I really don't think they are holding hands. In the original, you will see the 3rd person's shoulder in front on the groom's arm, which appears to go straight down. I'm also not sure about the tie as it looks like he has a ruffled shirt, but I can't tell. I think the groom's head is coming along fine. As to the bride, I know this is one person's opinion, but I really don't think that bonnet shows up on both sides. I think what you see around her head on your left is water damage. Also, I see what could be a necklace, but I do not see a locket in the original. Last is her flowers, which I see the need to fill the space, but there is no information to fill that in.

I think I have looked at this photo too long, because there was something that didn't seem right (like maybe all the mud and no details  ;D)--is it me or is the bride staring in a different direction. In the original, she looks like she is staring right at us and a little over to our right shoulder. On yours, she seems to be staring off in the same direction as the groom.

I think you are doing great, but I would pull just enough detail on the very bottom to suggest without having to supply the details.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

haleygd

Hey Bets, I think this one is moving along nicely. I thought I'd add my two bits...
First with the groom. I think he has collar tips like the image below, I can see where the collar line V's downward. If he has a tie, it would be similar and then it would tuck into a vest. For the bride, I think you have the lighting wrong. With the groom the original shows his right side to be in the shadows so the light is coming from OUR right. On the bride you have it reversed on her neck, shoulders and left arm, her face is right. Looks like you copied her good eye and then did a flip. I think the new right eye needs just a touch of rotation and then the pupil needs to be shifted to her right so both eyes are looking off in the same direction.

Keep the faith!  Gary

Windows 7 & CS5 Design Premium, restoration in work photos uploaded at GaryHaley.photoshop.com

Hannie

Hi Betty,

I think you are a hero for not giving up on this monster and please stop pulling out your hair!

One little suggestion to add: you could leave the bottom part more blurry/diffuse so you don't have to worry about hands and flowers.  You may even want to crop more like the example in:
http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/topic,2174.0.html

Great job,

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Candice

Wow, based on all the information given between the first post and this on is:  the only way to do it is to not do it.  Hmmmmm 

I agree that there isn't much information.  And here's the thing... if there is anyone with a training in art, perhaps you could take it and draw in the information and repost.  An artist might well do it more credit than an attempt digitally.  Or perhaps the combination of the two gifts. 

What think ye? 
Candice

Mhayes

Bets, I think you may be right on this one. I'm curious to see what Mary might think about this one, since she is both an artist in oils and digital.

Here are some links to some vintage wedding photos:

http://past_times0.tripod.com/Early1900swhitedress.jpg

http://www.dxhansen.com/SSHubbard2-o/exhibits/stub_hans_andreas_ii_1900.jpg

http://www.green.gen.name/Webpics/wevidal1.jpg

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

I've done nothing but collect Vintage pics... My poor computer is over run.  Yeah, I'd like to see what Mary would do.  But until then this is the last one to put on here.  Thanks for all the suggestions.  I've done my best, now it may be time for someone else to do theirs.

My last thought is just do, don't over do....  Can't say I didn't try! :loveit:
Candice

mschonher

Hi guys,

This photo looks pretty much impossible although I must say Betty you did a beautiful job on the grooms face, the rest of this photo would be pure conjecture.  As for the details of clothing I feel it makes little sense to worry about the clothing if the faces aren't there unless you just crop out the bride. Sounds harsh I know but that's my  humble opinion.  I can feel the tension in my neck just by looking at this one.  You are brave and big hearted to take this one on Betty.  Perhaps the Groom's family would be happy with just him.

Hugs.......Mary

Candice

You're a sweety, Mary.  Now I will leave it in the hands of the powers-that-be.  I do see a few spots on the grooms face but nothing that really needs major work.  I really appreciate your kind words. 

Now, where to go from here Master Wan Kanobee!! 

Bets
Candice

cmpentecost

Bets, you are a brave, brave person for even attempting this photo.  I'm confident that whatever the final result will be appreciated by the family.

Chris

Candice

Thanks Chirs!  Brave? Not so sure... Crazy   ::)  More than likely.  I'll keep working on it till the cows come home or until someone else pulls my chain!  LOL  It's been fun.........

Hugs,
B  :hug:
Candice

Candice

It's 1 a.m. and I'm as far as I can go with this bride and groom.  As has been pointed out, I did not put in what was not there, but have worked very hard on bringing the faces out from the muck. 

I'm satisfied that I've done my best. 

Bets. 

Candice

Hannie

Hi Bets,

I think the cow can see the stable already!
This looks great, you managed to pull the faces out of the muck without that dreaded painted look.  Maybe you can try and clean up as much of the damage as you can, keeping it very soft?

Great job,

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Candice

Keeping it soft, as requested.

Candice

Mhayes

Bets, I think this is the best one yet!  :up: On your right side of the bride's shoulder, you might want to darken up the light colored strip. Beautifully done!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]