• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Photo Restoration and repair book?

Started by ftpimaging, August 01, 2009, 11:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ftpimaging

A while back there was a book recommended to me to make some headway in the repair / restoration arena.  I can't remember the name, and anything I've come accross doesn't see quite adequate.

So, does anyone here know a good book to get started with?

I'm an intermediate level shopper, PSP X2 is my software of choice.

Thanks

Mhayes

Hi and welcome to the OPR Forum! A very good book to get you started is Photoshop Restoration & Retouching by Katrin Eisman. What is nice about the book is that you can go on line and download the photos for each chapter.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Hi Ftpimaging and welcome to OPR from Amsterdam!

Margie suggested one of the best books there is on photo restoring. 
Another book you often come across for PSP is "Photo Restoration and Retouching Using Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo" by Robert Correll. 
It sounds like it could also be a good book.
(Corel sells it but Amazon has it for half that price and free shipping!)

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

ftpimaging

Perfect, thanks Markat and Hannie.

That first is the one recommended a while back.  I've seen the Corel one in Barnes and Noble, but the book and my money have never been available at the same time.
Not sure which I'll go for, I'm trying to do more in Photoshop lately since there's so much more support for it. Though I really like the PSP interface so much better.

Thanks again
ftp

Mhayes

Hi ftp,

As Hannie suggested, try looking on Amazon.com as you can save yourself a lot of money. Also there often are used books  listed at the same time that offer a very good discount. I'm not sure of the link, but put in the title and you should be able to pull the book (Katrin Eismann's book) up and have some of the chapter free for viewing.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

hoodman3

I'm a big fan of Katrin Eisman and another is "Digital Restoraton From Start to Finish" by Ctien.

Best of luck,
Pete
Windows XP, CS3

glennab

Pete, you just named my two favorite references.

And if one wishes to get into a certain aspect of restoration troubleshooting (i.e. channels, layers, masks, color - all of which are invaluable for our work, Scott Kelby and his gurus have myriad books to allow more specialized input.  Many are available on Amazon.com or through NAPP).

I'm considering Kelby Training, by which one subscribes to internet courses. NAPP members get one heck of a good price for a year of 24/7 access to all the training modules.

There's a lot of great information elsewhere on the web, as well, and we have references all over the forum to sites offering training, brushes, techniques and even more than you'll ever be able to retain (let's hear it for bookmarks)!

FTPIMG, welcome to OPR from Florida, and enjoy hunting down all the great information on the forum and elsewhere.

Cheers!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)