• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Need some input/advice on Wedding photo so far

Started by JKWS, June 17, 2013, 05:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JKWS

Hi all,

I have also been working on one of the very damaged photos from the Carney wedding.  I still need to do some additional work on the two bridesmaids and would like some input from the forum for help.   

Specifically, I am having difficulty repairing the look of the satin/taffeta in the skirts and also need some help with the hair/complexion both bridesmaids on the left.

Thank you VERY Much for input. This is only the second image I have worked on and it is a doozy!

Here are the before and the work in progress.

BEFORE

WORK IN PROGRESS

JKWS

Here is a reference photo that Bambi sent to me

Mhayes

Hi JWKS,

Kudos to you for picking this one. I think you have done a great job, but there are areas that I think you could improve on. The most difficult is the headless bridesmaid and it looks proportioned right, but I think an even better reference photo would be Charney M16_12 as I think is the same girl. Bambi may not have a restored version and on this one you would need to flip the head the other direction.

The one thing that stands out the most is that you have a lot of useful texture that you have painted over and that is on the  bridesmaid's dresses. On the one farthest on your right you have lost half of the texture that shows creases, folds, shadows, and shine of the fabric. Yes, there is damage, but I don't know how comfortable you are with layers and layers masks? You can take the lasso tool and draw around areas you like and then put that selection on its own layer, move into place and it might mean transforming so that you can scale and rotate into place. When I use the lasso I put in 2 pixels so as not to have a sharp edge. You can then mask and bring in what you want or don't want. Often I will merge down it it looks good and then work on the next section. What you have restored now doesn't look like their original dress.

On the bridesmaid bent over and putting on the garter belt, I would stay more with the detail in her face and also her hair. Yes, you will have to add some, but keep the good information. Hope it doesn't sound like I am down on your restore, because you have done a good job. I think if you will go back and try to recover some of the useful information it will really help you. If you get bogged down on some of my suggestion, let me know. Others may have some other tips that will help as well.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

JKWS

Thank you very much!  Excellent ideas. I am going to work on it more.  Thank you for your valuable input.

Bambi

Great advice, Margie. I put the picture you mentioned in Jennifer's gallery for reference.

Bambi