• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

My Image so far...

Started by MichiganRob, September 29, 2009, 05:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichiganRob

Apparently for my first project here at OPR I picked a doozie from Margies gallery.  This is most definately not the  finished product, it is just where I am at the moment.  Please give me feedback, criticism, etc.  I want to see if I am headed in the right direction or if I need to start over and go a different direction.

My instructions were to restore this image in black and white not sepia...the blotches on the left side of the photo are paper roses (decorations)... The Major damage is to the right side of the image.

Okay that's where I am...where should I be?

After reading the comments below...Here's where I am Now

lurch

Rob, this looks like my favorite bedroom. Here's my finished version of one I did earlier, done with the help of a reference photo provided by the GHF. It might help you with some of the details.

Welcome to OPR, by the way. We're pleased to have you as a member.
<C>

Mhayes

Rob, you picked a very difficult photo for your 1st restore. As you do more you will feel more comfortable with what you can and cannot do. Never replace parts of an image from another photo (unless it is a reference photo) and especially not from a stock photo. Unless the stock photo is for free, you could get into some serious copyright issues. Plus, we don't allow it and it catches the eye as not being right. I doubt that there are drapes by looking at the other side which is a mirror image. When you are working with a historical photo, especially one that belongs to the Galveston Historical Foundation, you do not want to add parts that were not in the original. I know that you want to make it look better, but restore what you can and the rest can be blurred out.

I can't tell much from your flooring, but it looks like you have it as a solid gray. I would stick with the original and even leave as it is without much retouching. Lurch has her photo for help, but I cannot see any indication of a rug and the fireplace, paintings. windows, doorway are completely different. I have no idea is the molding around the ceiling is the same or not. I will try to see if the GHF has any photo to use for reference. I also wonder if maybe there is a sheet over a chair where you have drapes?

It  would help to post a larger photo as this one is too small. Since the photo is only a 3.5 x 3.5, you can post at full resolution. When you post a photo, make sure that you go to File>File Ino and remove the personal information before posting. Another way is to have a new file and drop this one as a layer. That will remove all the personal information.

You are off to a great start, but it needs to change directions for parts of your restore. Hang in there as you have picked a very difficult photo.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

lurch

Looking at Margie's B&W, I can tell it's definitely not my favorite bedroom but a whole different room. Let's hope Margie can drum up a reference photo that works for you
<C>

Johnboy

Rob,

If you did a greyscale conversion under Image>Mode>Greyscale, you might go back to the original and do a levels adjustment layer adjusting each of the RBG Channels. The image looks terrible but look at the blue layer in the Channels. It might be a good place to consider as your base to start your restoration. Make a copy of this Channel and paste it above the Levels layer in the Layers palette. Then change the Blend mode on the Levels layer to Multiply and copy it. Then move the copy above the copied blue channel. Now double click on the levels icon in the copied adjustment layer, and move the sliders back outward towards the edge on the RGB Channels. I also dropped the Opacity in the copied Levels layer to 78%. You might play with the opacity for a better image. Below is what I got by doing this. I was rather surprised at what I got. This is a method from Katrin Eismann's book with some modifications.  My impression is that the area where you replaced the drapes is damage and not drapery.

Johnboy

MichiganRob

Man O Man  :wow: was I headed down the wrong path.  This restoration is clearly above my skill level. But what  I Just learned from Johnboy and Margie is priceless.  Thank you :up:  Please don't give up on me, beause I won't give up until this image passes quality control ;)

MichiganRob

Hannie

Don't worry MichiganRob, we will never give up on you!  You did well on your first OPR restore but these historically significant photos take a little bit different approach then say for instance a family snapshot. 
Not that we would want to borrow heads or limbs from other people in snapshots but you can get away with a bit more than on the GHF Photos.

(We try to change as little or preferably nothing at all on these photos.  Levels correction and some damage control when possible is enough.  Anything that is not recognizable you can leave blurry, Margie already explained that)

:up2:

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Johnboy

Rob,

Keep posting and we will keep trying to help. I have learned a lot from the posts for my restores, and from reading other posts. In fact I picked up help indirectly on my last restore from someone else's post about getting rid of some damage on a tux. So you never know where help may come from. I'll be anxious to see your results.

Johnboy

Mhayes

Hi Rob,

I got this back from the GHF today:

QuoteThat's the music room at Bishop's Palace.
I'm sure Brian has reference photos of the room's ceiling and molding.
The walls are upholstered with fabric. Damask.
That is a chair in the corner, draped with a sheet.
The upper built in wooden shutters over each window are closed.
There are no drapes

Brian was going over to their warehouse and if he has a reference photo, he will send a reference photo and I will get it to you.

Margie

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

MichiganRob

Thank you Margie for the info, I'm waiting for the reference photo to complete the projecr, I have made progress on other areas I will post an updated photo shortly

MichiganRob